123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini & Video editing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Mini & Video editing Reply with quote

Is the mini powerful enough to do video editing? I kinda mean without painful rendering wait times.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some video editing on my Mini using iMovie and iDVD to burn. In iMovie the clips, transitions and other special effects reder pretty quickly. Once I'm done and dump it into iDVD and do what I need to do there and click burn it takes about 3 hours to render, compile and burn a 1 hour DVD. It is by no means the fastest at rendering but is tolerable. I just go and do something else while it is working. I can't complain, It has worked well without any hickups or problems.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is similar to LouieMacGoo's. I too had concerns before purchasing the mini as to whether it could handle light editing and burning for home movies. However, in comparison to my old Dell PIII (w/Pinnacle capture card, Studio DV 9, 2nd dedicated video scratch drive), the mini has been a joy to use. On my old Dell, the software would frequently hang or blue screen and I cannot count the number of patches and driver updates I had to apply. Editing & Burning DVDs was always approached with a "will it work today" attitude. On the other hand, I have been able to plug my Sony MiniDV cam into the mini, fire up iMovie or iDVD and go to work without any glitches. Editing seems pretty fast. Burning from iDVD takes the longest (similar times to Louie's). However, I could burn DVDs while performing other tasks on the computer with little slow down other than some of my apps dragging a bit during the DVD audio encoding step. While not exactly a DVD burning speed demon, for my purposes it is certainly acceptable and definitely easier than what I had to deal with in the past. My wife especially likes the OneStep DVD feature of iDVD for transferring our MiniDV tapes to DVD. EASY and IT WORKS!
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I do video editing on my tiB00k 550. 4200 RPM 20GB drive, 16MB video card, 512MB RAM.

In comparison, the 512MB 4200RPM 1.25 Mini that I bought is double the speed and capacity. It should have no problem rendering transitions or compositing output. Just be prepared to walk away while it chugs. I let things like that go right before I go to bed, and proof them in the morning.

Even my AMD 64 3500+ with 2GB PC3200 memory and SATA drives takes hours to rip DVDs in DVD_Shrink. As The Humongous said in "The Road Warrior," "Just walk away..."

I do use a WD 8MB cache 7200 RPM IDE drive in a good quality firewire enclosure to to video and photo work, however. If I were doing video work with a Mini, I would get everything except apps and OS off the internal drive.
bmalsi2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: mac mini & video editing Reply with quote

hi guys, i regularly do editing of DV on my mini using Final Cut Pro 4 HD without any problems. only upgrade i did was to swap out the 256 RAM for 512. my internal drive is 80GB 4200rpm, i had initial misgivings about this but tried anyway...relieved that it was fine for DV.

i was forced to get a mac mini in the middle of a video project because the AMD 2GHZ PC i was using for the project suddenly and unexplainedly developed problems which i could not work out. so i moved my video files over to the mac mini & resumed editing (it was all i could afford at the time), finished the project which paid for the mac mini.

i was eventually able to fix the PC but not without reformatting. problem was a virus picked up from the net.

currently using 3 machines networked via ethernet; mac mini 1.42GHZ, AMD 2 GHZ and and old Sawtooth G4 450MHZ.

Started out with FCP 1.25 and OS 9 on the Sawtooth, tried OS X ver 1 which really pissed me off and made me switch to Premier Pro on Win XP. eventually got tired of viruses and spyware which regularly infest PC's and moved back to FCP on the mini.

i still use the PC for basic cuts and dissolves, use the Sawtooth as a video server. i do complex video compositing with as much as 10 layers at a time on the mini without problems, so don't feel under-equipped with the mini. it rocks! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: