123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2170
Location: U.S.A

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike Reply with quote

AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike
Tuesday May 31, 2005

AOpen has unveiled a new Pentium-M based Mac mini look-alike, codenamed Pandora at Computex 2005. The computer copies the size, shape, and color of the Mac mini. Pandora has a slot-loading optical drive and power button on the front, while the back I/O panel includes 3 USB 2.0 ports, Audio in and out ports, DVI output, S-Video, and Ethernet port. SilentPCReview.com has posted some pictures from the tradeshow floor. "It uses a single blower fan that turns on only when needed. The aluminum casing was warm but the fan was not running when these photos were taken in the hot tradeshow room" AOpen plans to release Pandora in September.





http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/312.html


Last edited by admin on Tue May 31, 2005 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say "Apple Legal"!!!!! Wink

Same thing happened when Apple first introduced the iMac! Other companies copied and were hit with lawsuits by Apple that all but eliminated the "clones"!!! I see the same happening here!
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 613

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Apple legal will be working overtime tonight! Maybe this will put some pressure on Apple to include audio-in and S-video in the next mini. Smile
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.


You know it!
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
senn
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...it's time for the Aopen vs. Apple smackdown!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jase
Member
Member


Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Posts: 164
Location: RapidCity, SD

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it's a blatant ripoff of the Mini, I kinda like it.

I'd like to sit one right next to my Mini, and install some flavor of Linux on it.

I'm skeptical, however, that it's as nice a piece of hardware as the Mini. The Mini set the bar pretty high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
bruintoo
New Member
New Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 10
Location: Lost Angels, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Geez... Reply with quote

These PC guyz are so freaking orignal. Invest some money on industrial design for f**cks sake!
-Bruin
_________________
VW & Mac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
idave
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 464

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
As much as it's a blatant ripoff of the Mini, I kinda like it.

I'd like to sit one right next to my Mini, and install some flavor of Linux on it.

I'm skeptical, however, that it's as nice a piece of hardware as the Mini. The Mini set the bar pretty high.



I agree. They might look good stacked together.

Just like my Mac mini 2nd generation concept the Pandora has no modem, horizontal USB ports, and Audio-in. Does anyone know what the exact dimensions are?
_________________
14" 1.25GHz G4 iBook (died)
1.42GHz Mac mini (almost dead)
1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini (sold)
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
castaway
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 21 May 2005
Posts: 473
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.


Here's the bigger question. Are people buying the mini because of its price, features, size, or OS X and bundled software. I agree that most people aren't buying the mini because its size. I'm leaning towards OS X and software as the main reason. Am I leaving out any other reasons?

Here's the order of why I bought a mini.
1. OS X and bundled software.
2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 613

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:

Here's the order of why I bought a mini.
1. OS X and bundled software.
2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.


I'd say my reasons were pretty much in line with yours. I'm a switcher and out of growing frustration with WinTel have been looking for alternatives over the past couple years. I've run 3 different variants of Linux for that very reason but soon realized that it wasnt the "ready for prime-time solution" I was looking for. Everything still felt too "patched together" and I felt like I still spent too much time fidgeting with stuff to get it to work properly. I bought a computer to get things done (read: PRODUCTIVTY TOOL), not spend all night updating drivers, troubleshooting and tweaking stuff. The mini was attractive because of the tight bundle of USEFUL applicatons and a great OS that just seem to work together so well. The price and the ability to use all of my existing peripherals was probably what pushed me into actually buying one. I have looked at iMacs but didn't want an integrated screen and the G5 Towers were just too expensive for me. And of course the size and quiet operation were an added bonus. Its great not to have that ugly tower sitting next to my desk with fans whirring anymore.
So when I see the news about this new Intel-based clone of the mini I think, "Its small...so what...what about the rest of reasons I switched?"
_________________
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
miniStack 500GB
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop


Last edited by greg on Tue May 31, 2005 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjamini
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 465

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
greg wrote:
Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.


Here's the bigger question. Are people buying the mini because of its price, features, size, or OS X and bundled software. I agree that most people aren't buying the mini because its size. I'm leaning towards OS X and software as the main reason. Am I leaving out any other reasons?

Here's the order of why I bought a mini.
1. OS X and bundled software.
2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.



I came here for a different reason. I am tired of looking at the big ugly box under my desk. I like the mini form factor. Then I looked at OS X and software. It looks good...


1. Size. - it looks nice
2. Features. - www, office, video editing, all of it.
3. OS X and bundled software.
4. Price. - I'd pay more for a more robust system in the same box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5389
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Am I leaving out any other reasons?


Security!

My list would be the same with 3 and 4 switched.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd say my reasons were pretty much in line with yours. I'm a switcher and out of growing frustration with WinTel have been looking for alternatives over the past couple years. I've run 3 different variants of Linux for that very reason but soon realized that it wasnt the "ready for prime-time solution" I was looking for. Everything still felt too "patched together" and I felt like I still spent too much time fidgeting with stuff to get it to work properly. I bought a computer to get things done (read: PRODUCTIVTY TOOL), not spend all night updating drivers, troubleshooting and tweaking stuff. The mini was attractive because of the tight bundel of USEFUL applicatons and a great OS that just seem to work together so well. The price and the ability to use all of my existing peripherals was probably what pushed me into actually buying one. I have looked at iMacs but didn't want an integrated screen and the G5 Towers were just too expensive for me. And of course the size and quiet operation were an added bonus. Its great not to have that ugly tower sitting next to my desk with fans whirring anymore.
So when I see the news about this new Intel-based clone of the mini I think, "Its small...so what...what about the rest of reasons I switched?"


Well stated. There will be people that will by this simply because it isn't Mac. They like the form factor of the Mac Mini but just can't make the switch. It will be interesting to see what the specs are as far as hard drive, RAM,and other componants and how they stack up to the Mini!
But as I stated before this is nothing new for us long time Mac users. Where ever Mac goes a PC is sure to follow!
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DellApple
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put - I'm a switcher too. I don't miss the blue screen of death. Funny; I was up my sisters yesterday for the holiday and she has a Windows XP box and on the way out I saw one of her kids get the blue screen of death. I kind of chuckled when I saw it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.