123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike Reply with quote

AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike
Tuesday May 31, 2005

AOpen has unveiled a new Pentium-M based Mac mini look-alike, codenamed Pandora at Computex 2005. The computer copies the size, shape, and color of the Mac mini. Pandora has a slot-loading optical drive and power button on the front, while the back I/O panel includes 3 USB 2.0 ports, Audio in and out ports, DVI output, S-Video, and Ethernet port. SilentPCReview.com has posted some pictures from the tradeshow floor. "It uses a single blower fan that turns on only when needed. The aluminum casing was warm but the fan was not running when these photos were taken in the hot tradeshow room" AOpen plans to release Pandora in September.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/312.html

Last edited by admin on Tue May 31, 2005 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say "Apple Legal"!!!!! Wink

Same thing happened when Apple first introduced the iMac! Other companies copied and were hit with lawsuits by Apple that all but eliminated the "clones"!!! I see the same happening here!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Apple legal will be working overtime tonight! Maybe this will put some pressure on Apple to include audio-in and S-video in the next mini. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Okay...but if it doesnt run OS X isnt that only half the equation? I didnt switch from a WinTel to the mini just because the mini was small.

You know it!
iLife's a Bitch!
senn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...it's time for the Aopen vs. Apple smackdown!
jase

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it's a blatant ripoff of the Mini, I kinda like it.

I'd like to sit one right next to my Mini, and install some flavor of Linux on it.

I'm skeptical, however, that it's as nice a piece of hardware as the Mini. The Mini set the bar pretty high.
bruintoo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Geez... Reply with quote

These PC guyz are so freaking orignal. Invest some money on industrial design for f**cks sake!
-Bruin
idave

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
As much as it's a blatant ripoff of the Mini, I kinda like it.

I'd like to sit one right next to my Mini, and install some flavor of Linux on it.

I'm skeptical, however, that it's as nice a piece of hardware as the Mini. The Mini set the bar pretty high.

I agree. They might look good stacked together.

Just like my Mac mini 2nd generation concept the Pandora has no modem, horizontal USB ports, and Audio-in. Does anyone know what the exact dimensions are?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
castaway

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:

Here's the bigger question. Are people buying the mini because of its price, features, size, or OS X and bundled software. I agree that most people aren't buying the mini because its size. I'm leaning towards OS X and software as the main reason. Am I leaving out any other reasons?

Here's the order of why I bought a mini.
1. OS X and bundled software.
2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:

2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.

I'd say my reasons were pretty much in line with yours. I'm a switcher and out of growing frustration with WinTel have been looking for alternatives over the past couple years. I've run 3 different variants of Linux for that very reason but soon realized that it wasnt the "ready for prime-time solution" I was looking for. Everything still felt too "patched together" and I felt like I still spent too much time fidgeting with stuff to get it to work properly. I bought a computer to get things done (read: PRODUCTIVTY TOOL), not spend all night updating drivers, troubleshooting and tweaking stuff. The mini was attractive because of the tight bundle of USEFUL applicatons and a great OS that just seem to work together so well. The price and the ability to use all of my existing peripherals was probably what pushed me into actually buying one. I have looked at iMacs but didn't want an integrated screen and the G5 Towers were just too expensive for me. And of course the size and quiet operation were an added bonus. Its great not to have that ugly tower sitting next to my desk with fans whirring anymore.
So when I see the news about this new Intel-based clone of the mini I think, "Its small...so what...what about the rest of reasons I switched?"
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop

Last edited by greg on Tue May 31, 2005 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
greg wrote:

Here's the bigger question. Are people buying the mini because of its price, features, size, or OS X and bundled software. I agree that most people aren't buying the mini because its size. I'm leaning towards OS X and software as the main reason. Am I leaving out any other reasons?

2. Price.
3. Features.
4. Size.

I came here for a different reason. I am tired of looking at the big ugly box under my desk. I like the mini form factor. Then I looked at OS X and software. It looks good...

1. Size. - it looks nice
2. Features. - www, office, video editing, all of it.
3. OS X and bundled software.
4. Price. - I'd pay more for a more robust system in the same box.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Am I leaving out any other reasons?

Security!

My list would be the same with 3 and 4 switched.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd say my reasons were pretty much in line with yours. I'm a switcher and out of growing frustration with WinTel have been looking for alternatives over the past couple years. I've run 3 different variants of Linux for that very reason but soon realized that it wasnt the "ready for prime-time solution" I was looking for. Everything still felt too "patched together" and I felt like I still spent too much time fidgeting with stuff to get it to work properly. I bought a computer to get things done (read: PRODUCTIVTY TOOL), not spend all night updating drivers, troubleshooting and tweaking stuff. The mini was attractive because of the tight bundel of USEFUL applicatons and a great OS that just seem to work together so well. The price and the ability to use all of my existing peripherals was probably what pushed me into actually buying one. I have looked at iMacs but didn't want an integrated screen and the G5 Towers were just too expensive for me. And of course the size and quiet operation were an added bonus. Its great not to have that ugly tower sitting next to my desk with fans whirring anymore.
So when I see the news about this new Intel-based clone of the mini I think, "Its small...so what...what about the rest of reasons I switched?"

Well stated. There will be people that will by this simply because it isn't Mac. They like the form factor of the Mac Mini but just can't make the switch. It will be interesting to see what the specs are as far as hard drive, RAM,and other componants and how they stack up to the Mini!
But as I stated before this is nothing new for us long time Mac users. Where ever Mac goes a PC is sure to follow!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DellApple

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put - I'm a switcher too. I don't miss the blue screen of death. Funny; I was up my sisters yesterday for the holiday and she has a Windows XP box and on the way out I saw one of her kids get the blue screen of death. I kind of chuckled when I saw it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: