123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CubeParts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
I can't find it on Apple's website either. What do we do? Do we wait, and will our Mini's survive until then?

If you go to this MacFixIt article you will find instructions on what to do and a link to the right update.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Does it have to be manual, or can we get it through Software Update?

EDIT:

Nope, not on Software Update, and I can't find it on Apple's website either. What do we do? Do we wait, and will our Mini's survive until then?

It looks like Apple just replaced the file. From MacFixIt:

It appears that Apple made the revision at around 1:30 PST yesterday (June 29th), so if you applied the updater prior to that time, you should re-apply the delta or combo updater to make sure you have the new files.

Here's the MacFixIt article--it has links to the older articles on this subject as well.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060630084130887

So it appears that if you have an Intel Mac, and updated close to or before that time, and didn't use the combo updater, I would download and reapply the combo updater.

Confused

Jamie
ipodaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

bandit bill
I just purchased a new mini. I have not updated it yet. The only thing I put on it so far is my music in itunes so it just has the software that came from apple on it. I am trying to understand when you say repair your disk permission before and after you do a update. Are you talking about if you set up a password for your harddrive? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am new to apple computers and am trying to understand some of the difference from windows.
CubeParts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

ipodaddict wrote:
bandit bill
I just purchased a new mini. I have not updated it yet. The only thing I put on it so far is my music in itunes so it just has the software that came from apple on it. I am trying to understand when you say repair your disk permission before and after you do a update. Are you talking about if you set up a password for your harddrive? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am new to apple computers and am trying to understand some of the difference from windows.

Go to Applications Folder > Utilities Folder and double click Disk Utility. In the window that opens, select your hard drive in the left-hand column and click on Repair Disk Permissions. For more information on Disk Permissions, read this article from Apple.
ipodaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

CubeParts wrote:
ipodaddict wrote:
bandit bill

Go to Applications Folder > Utilities Folder and double click Disk Utility. In the window that opens, select your hard drive in the left-hand column and click on Repair Disk Permissions. For more information on Disk Permissions, read this article from Apple.

Cube Parts
Thanks for the response.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

ipodaddict wrote:
bandit bill

Before you do an OS update it is a good practice to run the repair disk permissions utility. Even if your system is brand new. It is likely not necessary, but it can't hurt.

You should probably routinely run the repair disk permissions once per month (even if there is nothing wrong with your system). Consider it preventive maintenance.
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: OS X 10.4.7 networking issues Reply with quote

I have experienced difficulty in connecting to my network since the update. I have first generation Mini PPC. I repaired disk permissions before and after installation of the update. I have to restart my router after sleep mode. The error message states cannot find PPoe server. It is eventually found but it takes a few minutes. I have Bell South Fast DSL, with Belkin Router and Airport. I have not had this problem prior to installation of the update. Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced network connection issues since the update. Thanks.
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Sony 32" LCD HDTV Monitor-Bravia
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
andp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OS X 10.4.7 networking issues Reply with quote

lojo wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced network connection issues since the update. Thanks.

No networking problems with the update here. You might want to try restarting the Belkin router or your DSL modem.
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: OSX10.4.7 update Reply with quote

Thanks for your response andp. I downloaded the combo updater from Apple.com. I used the software update from the Mini the first time. Don't ask. I know better. Anyway, I will see if that corrected the problem shortly.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: OS X 10.4.7 networking issues Reply with quote

Connecting to my network remains problematic after the combo update. I get a message "cannot find PPoe server", however, the internet connects momentarily. I repaired disk permissions after the update and also restarted the router. I am using the Mini on the network for this writing. My PC notebook continues to connect without problem to the network. I therefore conclude this is a Mac issue. Help please.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: OS X 10.4.7 networking issues Reply with quote

I found information on my issue as follows:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060629082332523

If this is a duplication, my bad.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The favicons are not working in Safari since I installed 10.4.7. All I see is the globe. I've already tried repairing the disk permissions and resetting Safari. What else should I try?
CubeParts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacFixIt has now released more information on how to determine whether you have the old or new version of 10.4.7 installed on your Intel Mac Mini (or any Intel-based Mac).

They state, "Another method for determining whether you have the new or old version installed is to look at the "About this Mac" window (accessible from the Apple menu), then click the version number (Version 10.4.7) to reveal the build number.

If the build number is 8J2135a, you have the new version. Logic should follow that if you have build 8J2135, you have the old version. However, several users who applied the Intel-based combo updater initially have reported having build 8J2135. As noted above, the combo updater (according to Apple) always had the missing files, meaning no additional updating is necessary if it was used.

This is obviously cause for confusion, but it still appears that if you originally used the combo updater, you do not need to re-update. If, however, you originally used the delta (smaller) updater and have build 8J2135, you need to re-download and apply the new, revised updater.

You can find more information here.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
The favicons are not working in Safari since I installed 10.4.7. All I see is the globe. I've already tried repairing the disk permissions and resetting Safari. What else should I try?

Resetting Safari doesn't completely get rid of everything in the icons folder. Try deleting all the folders in your ~/Library/Safari/Icons folder and the com.apple.Safari.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder. Empty the trash and restart.
iLife's a Bitch!
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
castaway wrote:

Resetting Safari doesn't completely get rid of everything in the icons folder. Try deleting all the folders in your ~/Library/Safari/Icons folder and the com.apple.Safari.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder. Empty the trash and restart.

I have the little buggers back - thanks a million!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: