123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transintl announces miniXpress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

Transintl announces miniXpress
Thursday, June 29, 2006

If you've upgraded the hard drive in your Intel-based Mac mini with a faster or higher capacity drive, you may have noticed there aren't many 2.5" SATA enclosures on the market to use with your old hard drive. Well, we have some good news to report. Trans International today introduced the miniXpress, a new portable enclosure for 2.5" SATA hard drives. With the miniXpress, users can upgrade their Intel-based Mac mini with a larger capacity drive and then install the replaced drive inside the aluminum miniXpress enclosure. The miniXpress is equipped with an Anti Shock mechanism and features a triple FireWire 800/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 interface. Pricing for the miniXpress starts at $99.00.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/newsstory/495.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

Blast, still no ON/OFF switch! All I can say is stay far, far away from the USB model from CoolDrives or USBgear, it's a piece of crap: edit - I had a poor experience, but maybe I just got a dud and shouldn't be judging, so if you're looking for an inexpensive enclosure and don't require an on/off switch and have a couple spare USB ports, this may be a good way to go; I got antsy and ordered the USB model instead of waiting for OWC's offering, which will hopefully meet my needs better, so take my advice fwiw...

http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/almiposa25in.html

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=SS-CGS-25K1&cats=170&catid=2345%2C315%2C170%2C131%2C161

There's a reason it's only $25 Rolling Eyes This new enclosure strikes me as kind of pricey at $99; I just bought a 400-gig drive for like $110. I've seen external full-sized drives with 160gb or more for less than $99 lately, too. I guess if you need Firewire 800, it's a good deal. I'm going to hold out to see if OWC has anything to offer with their upcoming enclosure; if not I guess I'll be selling my spare 60gb 5400rpm 2.5" SATA drive...

Last edited by kaidomac on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

Another downside: no second Firewire 400 port. Want to add an iSight along with this enclosure? You'll have to buy a Firewire hub. What I really wish someone would make is a clone of this enclosure but with support for SATA drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146604
matoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
Another downside: no second Firewire 400 port. Want to add an iSight along with this enclosure? You'll have to buy a Firewire hub.

they do give you a FW800...which is a little odd since the Mini doesn't come w/ a FW800 port. I'd be willing to be more people would prefer 2 FW400 ports rather than the FW800.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

matoda wrote:
they do give you a FW800...which is a little odd since the Mini doesn't come w/ a FW800 port. I'd be willing to be more people would prefer 2 FW400 ports rather than the FW800.

Yeah, that's the problem. It has 2 FW800 ports but only 1 FW400 port. Only the 17" MacBook Pro comes with a built-in FW800 port. I'd imagine you could install one into a 15.4" MacBook Pro via the ExpressCard slot. But what about for us Mini and MacBook users? Razz
CubeParts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
All I can say is stay far, far away from the USB model from CoolDrives or USBgear, it's a piece of crap:

Dave, I didnt' realize I had bought a piece of crap. I picked up the CoolDrive enclosure about two months ago to house the 5400RPM drive I removed from my Mini and replaced with a 7200RPM drive. While there is nothing real special about this enclosure, it does what I want it to -- houses the original drive and allows me a way to backup my system in the event something happens to the drive now in my Mini. It is powered by USB, has stayed on 24/7, and hasn't caused any problems. So, for me, I cannot complain. I guess only time will tell.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

CubeParts wrote:
kaidomac wrote:
All I can say is stay far, far away from the USB model from CoolDrives or USBgear, it's a piece of crap:

Dave, I didnt' realize I had bought a piece of crap. I picked up the CoolDrive enclosure about two months ago to house the 5400RPM drive I removed from my Mini and replaced with a 7200RPM drive. While there is nothing real special about this enclosure, it does what I want it to -- houses the original drive and allows me a way to backup my system in the event something happens to the drive now in my Mini. It is powered by USB, has stayed on 24/7, and hasn't caused any problems. So, for me, I cannot complain. I guess only time will tell.

Hehehe Very Happy Maybe I got a defective one. Another user on these boards also got a cruddy one. I played with it for like an hour with zero success. btw, do you have both USB cords plugged in or just one?

Edit: You know what, I probably pulled the noose on this one too quickly. I would definately like to hear more good reviews like yours before I officially knock it Very Happy
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks cool, but $99 seems a little pricey.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
Hehehe Very Happy Maybe I got a defective one. Another user on these boards also got a cruddy one. I played with it for like an hour with zero success. btw, do you have both USB cords plugged in or just one?

I also have an external case for my old Mac mini drive since I also replaced the original 80GB/4200RPM with a 80GB/5400RPM (80GB/7200RPM was too expensive). It's a U.S. Modular and is both FW400/USB2, but I only use it with USB2 (the wire is smaller and less trouble for such a small enclosure).

I can't get it to work through the miniStack via USB2, but if I connect it directly to the Mac mini or the PowerBook, it runs just fine.
CubeParts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

kaidomac wrote:
btw, do you have both USB cords plugged in or just one?

I have both of the CoolDrive enclosure's USB posts plugged in -- one supplies the power the other is for data transfer. So, two of my Core Duo Mini's USB ports are tied up with this enclosure. But, since I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with my setup, and no other USB devices attached, I still have two available USB ports.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

CubeParts wrote:
kaidomac wrote:
btw, do you have both USB cords plugged in or just one?

I have both of the CoolDrive enclosure's USB posts plugged in -- one supplies the power the other is for data transfer. So, two of my Core Duo Mini's USB ports are tied up with this enclosure. But, since I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with my setup, and no other USB devices attached, I still have two available USB ports.

That helped some, plugging both plugs directly into the Mini. The rear plug on the enclosure doesn't fit in very well. I was finally able to format it that way, so I guess avoid using a USB hub. Ah, frustrations. Someone give me a Firewire-powered drive with an on/off switch Very Happy
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transintl announces miniXpress Reply with quote

I noticed that Cool SATA is now selling an A/C adapter for $14, I might pick that up...
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced my internal 2.5", I put it in an OWC Mercury On-The-Go enclosure. I use it as a backup drive. It has two FW ports and a power switch. It is bus powered (no AC adapter required) and I routinely chain other FW devices through it such as my miniDV cam. I think the enclosure was a bit on the spendy side but I've been very happy with it thus far.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than this CoolDrive you guys are talking about and the minixpress, are there any other 2.5" SATA enclosures out there at all?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Other than this CoolDrive you guys are talking about and the minixpress, are there any other 2.5" SATA enclosures out there at all?

Sure.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MSTG800U2K/
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: