123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Reply with quote

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Apple today released the Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update via its Software Update utility and the Web. According to the company, the 10.4.7 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies. It includes fixes for:

- preventing AFP deadlocks and dropped connections
- saving Adobe and Quark documents to AFP mounted volumes
- Bluetooth file transfers, pairing and connecting to a Bluetooth mouse, and syncing to mobile phones
- audio playback in QuickTime, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, and Soundtrack applications
- ensuring icons are spaced correctly when viewed on desktop
- determining the space required to burn folders
- iChat audio and video connectivity, creating chat rooms when using AIM
- importing files into Keynote 3
- PDF workflows when using iCal and iPhoto
- reliable use of Automator actions within workflows
- importing and removing fonts in Font Book
- syncing addresses, bookmarks, calendar events and files to .Mac
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/493.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get the ball rolling, then!

The update went as smooth as silk (as usual), so that was good, and one thing that was sort of a surprise is that Apple must have updated the AirPort drivers (yay!) because it asked me to authorize the use of the keychain by the AirPort and iChat.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything major, but I know some people (me being one of them) were having a problem installing CS2, which has been solved on my end, and the window shadow distortion, which was supposedly fixed, because it was all over Apple's support forums.

Last edited by jbstingray on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you guys/gals do your update remember to repair disk permissions before and after. Make sure you back up critical data etc. and everything should go smoothly.

You may want to download OnyX first... it's free and makes maintenance and cleaning up your system very easy.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way ahead of you, OnyX is probably one of my favorite OS X programs, I know that my system is being optimized with it, and lord knows when all those scripts are being run...

Definitely a valuable download.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a password warning for airport on the restart. Is that normal?
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I got that too, you will get it for iChat if you use it, it is normal. Apple just updated them and when the software version changes, the keychain gets suspicious, and asks you to OK it.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Yup, I got that too, you will get it for iChat if you use it, it is normal. Apple just updated them and when the software version changes, the keychain gets suspicious, and asks you to OK it.

I just saw that one too. Everything else seems to be working fine. Very Happy
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the update on either of my minis.

Bring on Leopard!
RJT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update seems to have gone very well. No issues regarding airport or iChat.

Wonder if this will be the last update before OS 4.5.

BTW, I* upgraded a 1.6 GHz Intel mini.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJT wrote:
Update seems to have gone very well. No issues regarding airport or iChat.

Wonder if this will be the last update before OS 4.5.

BTW, I* upgraded a 1.6 GHz Intel mini.

I doubt it. I also think there will be an update to Tiger right around the time Leopard is released.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost worried Apple is going to run out of numbers and be forced to release Leopard as an update, and that would be terrible Laughing

I think we won't be seeing it until the new PowerMac's which probably won't be released until the new Creative Suite is out, or shortly before. Apple is smart and they know sales will flop if they don't.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
I think we won't be seeing it until the new PowerMac's which probably won't be released until the new Creative Suite is out, or shortly before. Apple is smart and they know sales will flop if they don't.

I'm not sure they would flop. Most (if not all) of Apple's Pro apps are Universal and they can't wait on Adobe forever. Anyways, I would imagine that a Mac Pro with two Intel Conroe chips would cut through Photoshop like butter. That even includes the Rosetta factor thrown into the mix.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, everything went fine with the update. I used the combo updater, and repaired permissions before and after, though no permissions were reported as needing repair. I didn't get the AirPort message that jbstingray got, and my connection is wireless. One oddity; my desktop picture was changed to an Apple one upon restart.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait on this update until after it's certified to work with the M-Audio products--I have a FireWire 410 and the numerous sound fixes have me a bit leery about jumping the gun.

Anyway, tips on updating, copied from macfixit.com:

We recommend the following procedure when installing Mac OS X 10.4.7.

First, avoid performing any other operations (in Mac OS X or third-party applications) while the update process is occurring. In addition, before installing this security update, make sure all Apple-installed applications and utilities are in their original locations. Moving one of these applications to a different location on your hard drive can lead to an incomplete update. Also, disconnect any FireWire/USB devices before applying Mac OS X 10.4.7 (except for your startup drive, if it is FireWire or USB, and your keyboard/mouse), then re-connect the devices one by one (checking for issues created by any particular device) after the update process is complete and the system has restarted.

If you have problems after applying the delta (standard, smaller) update, try the following common workarounds:

Delete kernel extension caches, other caches for some issues A number of common issues that crop up after incremental Mac OS X updates can be resolved by deleting specific cache files -- specifically kernel extension caches -- and restarting.

This can most easily be accomplished with a shareware utility like Tiger Cache Cleaner, but also bears a manual process which involves dragging the following files to the trash:

* com.apple.kernelcaches (a folder in /System/Library/Caches)
* Extensions.kextcache (a file in /System/Library)
* Extensions.mkext (a file in /System/Library/)
* com.apple.ATS (a folder in /Library/Caches/)
* Files that start with com.apple.LaunchServices (in /Library/Caches)

You will be prompted to enter your administrator password when dragging these files to the trash. You may need to restart after moving them to the trash.

Re-apply the Mac OS X 10.4.7 combo updater A workaround that has proved successful for various problems caused by previous incremental Mac OS X updaters is re-application of the current combination updater (PowerPC or Intel). Doing so overwrites potentially problem-causing files that were not replaced by the "Delta" (adjacent version-to-version) update.

Re-apply the Mac OS X 10.4.7 combo updater from an alternate startup volume

1. Download and save the Mac OS X 10.4.7 combo updater (PowerPC or Intel).
2. Startup from an alternate boot volume, such as an external FireWire drive, or use another Mac to boot the problematic system in FireWire target disk mode (connect the two machines via a FireWire cable, and boot the target [problematic] system while holding down the "T" key)
3. Once booted from an alternate drive, select the problematic volume in the Finder, and "Get Info" -- either by pressing the Command-I keyboard combination or accessing the "Get Info" option in the File menu. Check the box marked "Ignore ownership permissions on this volume."
4. If you have a third-party disk repair utility like DiskWarrior, use it to re-build the directory on the problematic volume (this step may not be necessary)
5. Re-install the Mac OS X 10.4.7 combo updater on the problematic drive.
6. Re-attempt booting from the problematic volume (hold down the option key at startup to select the desired drive)

Also, note that the first restart after applying Mac OS X 10.4.7 may be abnormally long. Subsequent restarts should take place at normal speed.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:

I'm not sure they would flop. Most (if not all) of Apple's Pro apps are Universal and they can't wait on Adobe forever. Anyways, I would imagine that a Mac Pro with two Intel Conroe chips would cut through Photoshop like butter. That even includes the Rosetta factor thrown into the mix.

Well, maybe not 'flop,' but they won't sell as amazingly as they could, and I bet Apple will have them start at only 1GB of RAM, which we all know isn't enough to let the processors live to their full potential.

On the update note, I didn't disconnect all my USB devices... uh oh! Seemed to go fine, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: