123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switcher to be: Get an emac while waiting for an imac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Switcher to be: Get an emac while waiting for an imac? Reply with quote

I'm really wanting to make the switch, I'm fed up with windows and fancy somehing new. The thing is, will I like OS X? I don't want to but a mac if I don't get on with the (reportedly amazing OS!).

I really like the core duo iMacs but at the moment I don't really want to but one, what with the new OS coming in August and new Core 2 Duos on the horizon.

So I've been thinking, whilst waiting for Core 2 Duo's, Leopard and funds, why don't I pick up an eMac on ebay for sub £150? If I like it, I use it untill the iMacs are updated then either sell it on or give it to my parents. If I don't like OS X then I sell it on anyway.

I would be greatful for any advice at all on switching. Thanks. Smile
boxcar182

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, Leopard won't be on the shelves until november or later, they will probably release it around vista's release to steal some of the hype, it's just going to be a preview at WWDC '06, so don't wait for that.

Now for the Core 2 Duos might be worth waiting for, I would suggest going with the iMac now. Because what are you going to be doing with this computer, because in most cases, the current iMac will do more then enough.

But on the other hand, hell I can never have enough macs, so if you buy an eMac, which by the way, I don't think will be the best way to enjoy Mac OS X, unless you buy one of the last models produced and even then you will want at least 512Mb of RAM, probably more.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy Macs and stick with them.
robhfla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leopard will probably not be out for a little while. My guess is the end of the yr or maybe even the beginning of next. So basically it's only like 6 mons from now. I'd say, if your current computer is working, and you can stick it out, I'd wait. Wait till Jan, you'll be able to save some money in the meanwhile. Once Jan rolls along, you have more money, you'll get Leopard, you'll get core 2, and you'll get iLife '07.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you get a cheap mini off eBay to see how you get on with it? No point waiting six months to find out you don't like OS X.

My opinion: it's a learning curve, but once you've tried a little Mac, you'll never look back.

The Affinity Trap - "knocked my socks off" - Norman Spinrad

www.martinsketchley.co.uk
sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thanks for that. I'd thought that a mini would be quite expenive but there are some cheap G4's on ebay.

As you say its a learning curve so having a mini on a kvm would be great, all that time waiting for photoshop to load on my pc i can play with tiger Smile

My athlon 3000 system runs ok so hanging on till january sounds fine with a mini as back up.

Thanks for all your help
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Switcher to be: Get an emac while waiting for an imac? Reply with quote

sfieldhouse wrote:
I'm really wanting to make the switch, I'm fed up with windows and fancy somehing new. The thing is, will I like OS X? I don't want to but a mac if I don't get on with the (reportedly amazing OS!).

I really like the core duo iMacs but at the moment I don't really want to but one, what with the new OS coming in August and new Core 2 Duos on the horizon.

So I've been thinking, whilst waiting for Core 2 Duo's, Leopard and funds, why don't I pick up an eMac on ebay for sub £150? If I like it, I use it untill the iMacs are updated then either sell it on or give it to my parents. If I don't like OS X then I sell it on anyway.

I would be greatful for any advice at all on switching. Thanks. Smile

I saw brand new eMacs for $600 CDN at my local retailer. I wouldn't bother waiting, just get what you want now (if you can afford it).
polvoronn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will love osx once you get used to it. I just switched about two weeks ago and recently installed bootcamp with winxp. After about 20 in winxp, I got so sketched out about any os loopholes that I quickly switched back to osx and haven't returned yet.

btw, the reason I stayed for that long on winxp is because some people started msg'ing me on msn messenger.
sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: switching Reply with quote

I got my eMac in the end. I think I did quite well. Its one of the original 700MHz series but it came with airport a DVDRW superdrive and 640 MB ram. oh and bluetooth (via a dongle) The HDs only 40g but thats fine for messing arund with apps and osx tiger. So all in all I think i did quite well for £245

Since I bought it I've hardly used my PC system, but then again as term's finished I'm only doing suring and messaging on amsn (amazing app).

I stareted to wonder if I sould have bought a mac mini and done some proper switching, but the thing is a similarly specced mini ould have cost me upwards of £350 and I'd much rather save and wait for a new revision iMac.

I'm dead chuffed with the eMac, its a super machine. For a 4 year old computer with a 700MHz processor its not half nippy. In fact when it comes to DVD writing/ripping and video editing it zooms past my Athlon 3000+!!!
My only issue is that firefox seems a bit slower on OS X, but other than that OS X is an amazing OS, I love it! It's so streamlined and intuitive and the whole system literally "just works." Everything I heard is true!

And while I'm sharing the eMac loving... Despite all the "apple kills off eMac" (sniff) stories we've been hearing, check out Apple Isreal at http://www.iapple.co.il/home.php where eMacs, iPod photos, iBooks, iMac G5's with iSight and iPod minis still rule on the front page. I've mentioned this in other posts but I love seeing ipod minis and eMacs on the front page of an appple store again. Very Happy
500GB HDD
Superdrive
Tiger 10.4.8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: