123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compare Mac OS X vs. Widonws XP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Compare Mac OS X vs. Widonws XP. Reply with quote

A fantastic tool for switchers.

http://www.xvsxp.com/

Last edited by admin on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that this site is slanted towards OSX, a lot is based on the author's subjective assesment, and the totals aren't weighted by anything, i.e. running a web server that few people do is given the same weight as web surfing that almost everyone does.

It's not a bad comparison piece by piece (except the development one), but I wouldn't give any weight to the scores assigned at all. Try each out and see what suits you better.

I find these kinds of reviews kind of hokey. This one is even more lopsided:
http://maczealots.com/articles/applications/
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the article much either. I much prefer to simply look at the current market for virus scanners, anti-spyware/adware, etc for windows and compare that to what is available/needed for linux, OS X, and other UNIX variants...As a security guy, that's all I need to know!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said before at work and at home viri and spyware aren't really an issue. For me it's about the applications I'm using for 95% of the day, browsers, email, IDE, etc. I'd love to use just one platform and use the best tools on it, but that's not going to happen for a while.

BTW, I wonder what % market share is needed for an OS to attract a virus in terms of those who write them and the ability to propagate.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
BTW, I wonder what % market share is needed for an OS to attract a virus in terms of those who write them and the ability to propagate.

I think the biggest issue is simply the fact that it is the norm for windows users to use their systems with administrator privledges. You just would NOT do that on a UNIX system. But, if that WAS the norm, I think you'd see a lot more nasty instances of malware for linux.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run as root all the time on Linux Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: