123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new_mac_guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Hub Reply with quote

Does the package include the cables to hook the hub to the Mini?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Reply with quote

new_mac_guy wrote:
Does the package include the cables to hook the hub to the Mini?

Yes, it includes two short white cables. The cables are really nice and thick.
iLife's a Bitch!
pjarvi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Belkin USB hub Reply with quote

I bought the USB only version of the Belkin hub (I have no Firewire devices), and have been happy with it so far(2 weeks of use). I was really surprised at how nice it was packaged, similar to the Mini packaging. I run a USB cable for a KVM, and an external hard drive off of the ports on the back of the hub, and connect my iPod shuffle to the front. All have worked flawlessly.

I only have 2 complaints with it:
-The power cable is black Sad
-The LED light on the front stays on, even when the Mac is turned off Idea

I use my Mini in my bedroom and shut it down at night to reduce noise. {When I first got the Mini I tried leaving it on and just put it to sleep, but it woke up on its' own?!} To take care of the problem with the LED flooding my room at night with light, I simply put my TV remote in front of it at night.
GrendelPrime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed jrt1's link and picked one up from macmall, I'm pleasantly surprised by it's design and overall 'feel'.

I haven't ordered my Mini yet, but I now have an excellent idea of where I'll put it when I do.
Maybe overkill, but it's currently serving as a stand for my iPod, and providing some more easily accessable ports on my desk from my Shuttle PC.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop in LA before I place my order, but it's getting harder to resist the urge.

I will eventually need external storage, (Lacie, et al) but I don't see a need for that to be right with the Mini, unlike extra ports.

I'm running an OSX theme for Windowblinds right now, and it's surprising how quickly I have gotten used to the close, restore, and minimize buttons being on the left.
keaggy220

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Stackable? Reply with quote

I need two hubs, can I daisy chain two Belkin hubs?
dank28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. ^^^

Just got the Belkin Hub last week, but looks like I'll need yet another soon. My only worry is the power coming from the PCU. Is it bad to run an external HD from the hub? Or should it go mini-> HD -> hub?
GrendelPrime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the FW/USB hub is powered by both the USB and FW ports, it shouldn't have any problem powering a drive meant to be run without an AC adapter.
The USB only hub is powered by a wall-wart, so there should be no issue there either.

All my external drives are of the 3.5" flavor, with an A/C connection, so I can't test for certain.
Anyone have hands-on experience?
matoda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: firewire cable too short? Reply with quote

I have a duo Mini and I just got my Belkin firewire/usb hub and am having trouble getting the firewire cable supplied with the hub to reach the port. Did anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?
southpaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: firewire cable too short? Reply with quote

matoda wrote:
I have a duo Mini and I just got my Belkin firewire/usb hub and am having trouble getting the firewire cable supplied with the hub to reach the port. Did anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?

It's not you, the cord IS a bit short for the Intel mini. The PPC minis had the firewire port more towards where the firewire port is on the hub.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there a solution to this or how did you guys get around it? I am really considering this (thanks to g5g5), and I want to make sure I don't need to buy another cable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
So is there a solution to this or how did you guys get around it? I am really considering this (thanks to g5g5), and I want to make sure I don't need to buy another cable.

Hey, I see you used the super secret "12345" coupon code! Very Happy

I never thought about the cables not being long enough for the Intel minis. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
FastEddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable I received with mine reaches the ports just fine however if I need to unplug it, it requires me to move the "Stack" out so I can do so.

I simply replaced the cord with a longer one I had laying around. I wouldn't let the cord length stop you from getting this great product. Its worth every penny paid.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
jbstingray wrote:

Hey, I see you used the super secret "12345" coupon code! Very Happy

I never thought about the cables not being long enough for the Intel minis. Sad

50 bucks seemed a little steep, but 30 seems like a really great deal for me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these last week and love it. The cables are long enough for the Intel mini.

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
Middi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have they extended the cables now then? i just bought one today and it looks like a very old box. so my wires are short. they reach but only just. i have a bit of fan whine too. i got a great deal should have been £24.95 from pc world which is cheap anyway as they are like £30 elsewhere. got it to counter and it was £19.95. just wondering if the wires are longer now. might take it back and get it from elsewhere see if it cures the whine too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: