123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New MacBook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: New MacBook Reply with quote

Well, I am now the owner of a new MacBook. Still getting it all setup right now.

Redid the thermal paste (with AS5)...It still is toasty, but the fan seems to be able to cool it a bit more efficiently now.

Bought the low-end model and upgraded to 2GB ram and a Seagate 120GB hdd. Wireless reception is VERY good. My iBook had decent reception and this MacBook easily surpasses it.

Hmmm, what else? Still can't stand the glossy screen...but with low light it is bearable.

The MacBooks are put together quite well. I tore it all apart to reapply the thermal paste and was quite impressed with fit and finish of it all. (however, I was NOT impressed with the CRAPLOAD of thermal paste I had to clean off) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New MacBook Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new toy! Other than that glossy screen, I think the MacBook rocks. I surprised to hear that you ripped it right open to check on the thermal paste. You're a brave man!
splen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I thought that you were definitely not getting one, because of the screen! you remind me of me! i was definitely getting a black one because of the discolouring that some people are getting on their white ones, but now I am planning to order the entry level one early next week!

Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes, especially how the 7200rpm disk afects the heat and noise as I am almost sure to want to upgrade mine!

Smile

p.s. if any of this post sounded mockng thats just my rampant jelousy leaking out!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New MacBook Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
and was quite impressed with fit and finish of it all

Even when reassembled? Razz

Seriously, congratulations, and I echo all the jealousy comments. I used one in the Apple Store recently and they are sweet.

Smile

Jamie
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY like the keyboard. It's very, uhhh, "clickity". Smile Much improved over the cheap keyboard of the iBook.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
illegaloperation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, the keyboard is one of the nicest features of my MBP. They hacve managed to make it perfect now, sunken and big keys that are easy to hit Wink. I reviewd my new MBP (sort of) at http://illegaloperation.blogspot.com
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Mine should be waiting for me when I get back from this trip. For that, I'm using the Dell at 16.8-19.2 kbps in this Super 8. It was nice to watch Lord of War scaled up to 1080p with TheaterTek last night though. I switched my 23" monitor to 1280 x 800 last week to see what the MB will be like, and have to say that small desktop size is going to take some getting used to.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
Congratulations! Mine should be waiting for me when I get back from this trip. For that, I'm using the Dell at 16.8-19.2 kbps in this Super 8. It was nice to watch Lord of War scaled up to 1080p with TheaterTek last night though. I switched my 23" monitor to 1280 x 800 last week to see what the MB will be like, and have to say that small desktop size is going to take some getting used to.

Use a 12" iBook for half a year like I did. Then you will be AMAZED at the desktop real estate! Smile

Seriously though...you start to really appreciate expose and programs such as Desktop Manager.

(and, of course, I span my desktop at home to an external display)
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new MacBook iMav! I can't wait to get one down the road. I just hope Apple drops the price on the black model before I'm ready to buy.
splen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered mine yesterday! Didn't seem worth starting a new thread but I still wanted to share my excitement!
I got the white 2.0ghz one with stock specs in the end. Planning to upgrade the ram first.

Now, if I could only force myself to stop checking my order's status every 20 minutes! Embarassed
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
Just ordered mine yesterday! Didn't seem worth starting a new thread but I still wanted to share my excitement!
I got the white 2.0ghz one with stock specs in the end. Planning to upgrade the ram first.

Now, if I could only force myself to stop checking my order's status every 20 minutes! Embarassed

I'm way too impatient, so I ordered mine and paid for overnight shipping (got it the next day after ordering). That was, however, not from Apple but from Mac Connection.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on mine. Sad Was hoping to have it for a 4 day weekend.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
Still waiting on mine. Sad Was hoping to have it for a 4 day weekend.

Well, definitely let us know when you get it and your first impressions.

I still say that my favorite thing about this MacBook is the keyboard. It is the first laptop I've ever owned where I didn't feel I was sacrificing in the keyboard dept.

I'm waiting to see someone swap out the keyboard on a black MacBook with one from a white MacBook (or the other way around). I think a BlackBook with a WhiteBook keyboard would be kinda cool... Smile
macfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. i hope the macbook gets an update with the lower spec merom chip due out in mass market in late august.
TheVanMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Just bought a 17" Macbook Pro Reply with quote

I just found out that the compaany I work for is sending me to Wisconsin for a month. I have been thinking about getting a laptop computer for a while now but I never really needed one. I just bought a Mac Mini about 3 months ago and I am definitley a Mac Switcher. I hardly use my PC for anything more than gaming now. So when I found out that I am leaving for a month I decided to buy a MacBook Pro. I just bought it last night and so far I am loving it. But I do have one question.... Has anyone installed Windows XP w/ SP2 onto their MBP via BootCamp for Gaming reasons? If so, how does it hold up with higher end games? I am thinking about trying to do it this week while I am away. Any suggestions on what to do or even what NOT to do?
2.0 Gb RAM, IOGear KVM Switch
320Gb NewerTech MiniStack HD
Canon EOS 20D SLR Camera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: