123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rival Computer offers custom Mac minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Rival Computer offers custom Mac minis Reply with quote

Rival Computer offers custom Mac minis
Monday, June 19, 2006

Rival Computer today announced they are shipping custom Mac mini systems with 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, and 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processors. Pricing for the 1.83GHz Mac mini starts at $950. Mac minis with 2.0GHz and 2.16GHz processors start at $1,100 and $1,250, respectively. All systems include a slot-loading Combo Drive, 60GB hard drive, and 512MB of memory. Consumers can upgrade to a 80GB ($50), 100GB ($100), or 120GB ($175) 5,400 RPM hard drive, or 100GB ($200) 7200 RPM hard drive. Memory upgrades are priced at $100 for 1GB and $300 for 2GB. Customers can also upgrade to a SuperDrive for an additional $50.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/490.html
bmalmquist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: $$$ Reply with quote

outrageously expensive? Methinks.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they are a bit more expensive than Apple, but not terribly so if you aren't entitled to an education discount. Using the standard duo as an example, removing the superdrive and adding 1 gb RAM, the price would be $899 vs. the same at the Apple Store. You would buy from the Apple Store in this case because the superdrive is included there (worth $50 according to Rival), but if you wanted a faster processor, Rival's prices don't look bad if you consider that they install it also. The question is what kind of servicing you can get from them and whether such a purchase would be eligible for AppleCare if you need it. However, I think that if you wait a few months for the updated Mini, you'll get the faster processor without having to pay extra for it. In my case, I just want the present duo processor at the price now charged for the solo, and I don't care if they leave off the superdrive.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices are a little high, but not too bad all things considered. It looks like they are charging around a 100-150 dollar premium over what you could do if you bought the chips from Newegg. I would never go this route, but it' kind of cool seeing someone offer this.
djsyndrome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us that are willing to do this ourselves - does the Core Duo chip work in a machine that previously carried a Core Solo? I'm considering the $600 model (as I don't need the superdrive or the larger HD) and would like to upgrade it in the future....
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsyndrome wrote:
For those of us that are willing to do this ourselves - does the Core Duo chip work in a machine that previously carried a Core Solo? I'm considering the $600 model (as I don't need the superdrive or the larger HD) and would like to upgrade it in the future....

The Core Duo and Core 2 Duo chips will both work in a Core Solo Mac mini. Other than the processor and Combo drive, there is no difference between the Core Solo and Duo mini.
iLife's a Bitch!
diulei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

But yes, too expensive. Upgrading to MacBook specs runs you barely under what the MacBook costs - and you don't get the portability.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
The prices are a little high, but not too bad all things considered. It looks like they are charging around a 100-150 dollar premium over what you could do if you bought the chips from Newegg. I would never go this route, but it' kind of cool seeing someone offer this.

Ok lets say you buy the proccesor from Newegg and do the upgrade yourself....

Newegg price for processor + Core Solo Mac mini =

$251.99 for 1.83Ghz CD +$599 = $850.99

$850.99 vs. $949.99 from Rival Computers. Differnce of = $99

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$314.99 for 2Ghz CD +$599 = $913.99

$913.99 vs. $1099.99 from Rival Computers. Differnce of = $186

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$449.99 for 2.167Ghz CD +$599 = $1043.00

$1043.00 vs. $1249.99 from Rival Computers. Differnce of = $206.99

Personally, I think their markups are a little steep. I also wonder about Rival Computer's warranty and service like Fox mentioned.
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why Apple should give their customers a choice of processors as a BTO option. If people are willing to pay for it, offer the upgrade already. This strategy Apple has of protecting the Pro machines from the consumer machines is growing tired. Give people more choices, and they will come.
ecking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
This is exactly why Apple should give their customers a choice of processors as a BTO option. If people are willing to pay for it, offer the upgrade already. This strategy Apple has of protecting the Pro machines from the consumer machines is growing tired. Give people more choices, and they will come.

Word.
Paul Stamatiou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, no Apple warranty. Try bringing your 2.16 mini to the apple store for repair. ha!
SFBags Sleevecase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:

This would also help Apple overcome what I like to call "people waiting for the next update syndrome". You know there are people out there holding off on making an iMac or Mac mini purchase, because they feel updates are coming. I have always been for the idea of adding processors as a BTO option. And now that Apple has made the switch to Intel, it seems more possible.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:

That would kick ass! I'm sure Apple would be able to match Dell in pricing, so we could be looking at something like this:

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2600 (2.16GHz/667MHz FSB) [add $369 or $11/month]

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB) [add $194 or $6/month]

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB) [add $44 or $1/month]

I took those prices from a Dell XPS M 1210 that comes with a 1.66GHz CD.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:

I think it's a great idea, but I don't see Apple doing it anytime soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: