123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UT2k4 UB on Intel Core Duo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lungkisser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: UT2k4 UB on Intel Core Duo? Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm just wondering if anyones had a chance to try UT2k4 now that it has a universal binary on the Intel Mac Mini Core Duo and how well it plays. Right now I have only 512MB of RAM (meaning really only +/-448 with the video card stealing some RAM) so I doubt I can play it but I'm going to be updating to 2GB soon and am looking for some games that'll run decently.

Word.
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't personally tried it but from what i've read it doesn't play ut2004 well, but at low settings it is playable just don't bother playing online supposedly it plays really bad online.

Also the GMA950 in the mini actually steals 80Mbs of RAM but only 64Mbs is used for V-RAM.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
jasonditz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here actually tried it? I'd heard that it actually performs quite nicely now that it's got a UB.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macworld: The Mac mini from a gamer's perspective wrote:
Now, the older Mac mini was no speed demon when it came to playing games: We clocked the 1.42GHz PowerPC G4-based Mac mini at about 12 frames per second when we benchmarked it using Unreal Tournament 2004. The new Core Solo Mac mini averaged about 10 frames per second using the same test, running a Universal Binary of Unreal Tournament 2004.

The Core Duo results were shown in the original article, where the Duo managed 12.2 fps vs the Solo's 10.4.

Macworld: Benchmarks: Intel Mac mini scores a mixed bag wrote:
Tasks performed using these Universal Binary applications make up the bulk of the new benchmark results...Macworld’s initial results show the new minis lagging behind their predecessors in Unreal Tournament 2004 by a couple of frames per second. We used Unreal Tournament 2004’s Antalus Botmatch average-frames-per-second score; we tested at a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels at the Maximum setting with both audio and graphics enabled.

While these results don't show frame rates at lower settings, they do show that the PPC minis were slightly faster than the Intel Minis playing the Universal Binary version, and that the iMac and MacBook Pro are approximately 4 times faster.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: