123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why switch from a PC to a Mac mini.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podcasts are a peice to the puzzle. But what do you think will replace the ipod? There is yes to be a better mp3 player. Market domination grows the market. Its the old "my friend has one so I want one" senario.

I think the Ipod will lead for some time.
bani

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if microsoft really tried, they could dominate the player market. it might take them a couple of tries like anything else, but they eventually hit on something that works. to date they have not attempted to enter the player market.

if microsoft wanted to really hurt apple, ipod would be a good target -- such an enormous percentage of apple's revenue comes from ipod that any successful major competitor would be a severe blow to apple.

i doubt apple can maintain mp3 player dominance forever. also, any portable player can do podcasts -- it's not just an ipod thing. apple needs to continue to distinguish them from the competition -- satellite radio might be a way to do it. podcasts dont do that.

creative, rio, iriver, etc. keep missing the point -- the market wants integration with a service like itunes. itunes is what is driving ipod sales, and apple has done very well exploiting it.

there's no guarantee apple can maintain this position indefinitely. someone could release an ipod-killer service tomorrow for all we know. microsoft surely has the clout to pull something off like that, should they ever try.

apple's position is very risky. while it is very profitable, they are balanced precariously on the pointed tip of a market that is far more volatile than the pc market. the release of the mini may be signs apple is now coming to realize their risky position.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
i think if microsoft really tried, they could dominate the player market. it might take them a couple of tries like anything else, but they eventually hit on something that works. to date they have not attempted to enter the player market.

if microsoft wanted to really hurt apple, ipod would be a good target -- such an enormous percentage of apple's revenue comes from ipod that any successful major competitor would be a severe blow to apple.

i doubt apple can maintain mp3 player dominance forever. also, any portable player can do podcasts -- it's not just an ipod thing. apple needs to continue to distinguish them from the competition -- satellite radio might be a way to do it. podcasts dont do that.

creative, rio, iriver, etc. keep missing the point -- the market wants integration with a service like itunes. itunes is what is driving ipod sales, and apple has done very well exploiting it.

there's no guarantee apple can maintain this position indefinitely. someone could release an ipod-killer service tomorrow for all we know. microsoft surely has the clout to pull something off like that, should they ever try.

apple's position is very risky. while it is very profitable, they are balanced precariously on the pointed tip of a market that is far more volatile than the pc market. the release of the mini may be signs apple is now coming to realize their risky position.

Very good points Bani. How old R U and what do you do for a living?

I dont think that MS wants to get into the player market. There is a ceiling to ir and MS learned that lession with Pocket PC. Besided if another player gets into such a limited market it would suck all the $$$ out of it. ITs that compitition thing. Besides lets be honest...In a few years everything will play MP3s...my sat radio, my cell phone, my cammera.....and probebly even my car key (hell why not). Microsoft I am shure does not want to get into this limited market,

The real $$$ is in iTunes. Service fees...pay a you go and at a $1/song..hell yea there is alot of money there. I would imagine that in 10 more years the record labels start to go away. Why not as an artist you can use iTunes to distribute the music.

MS does not want to hurt Apple...in fact they will never directly go after them. Its the anti-trust thing. They are very happy with apple at 10% marketshare. Besides apple gives bill lots of good ideas for windows.

Satelite Radio - my industry - sooner than you think there will be a sat radio that can record and play MP3s. Very soon...Steve Jobs has already turned down the option to partner with Sat radio. Humm he missed it there.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I wouldn't pay for Sat radio! I am tired of paid subscription type media. As long as I can listen to music for free via my iPod and broadcast radio and not have another bill to pay I'm happy! Don't get me wrong I think that Sat radio is a good thing to prompt competitiveness in the industry but I also think the it will have a limited life cycle as did the eight track tape and the vinyl record. Enjoy the ride while it lasts!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that I wouldn't pay for Sat radio! I am tired of paid subscription type media.

What if iTunes offers a subscription plan? It would be sweet if you could fill your Ipod for 8-10 dollars a month. I pretty much feel the same way about satellite radio as you do.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I know that I wouldn't pay for Sat radio! I am tired of paid subscription type media. As long as I can listen to music for free via my iPod and broadcast radio and not have another bill to pay I'm happy! Don't get me wrong I think that Sat radio is a good thing to prompt competitiveness in the industry but I also think the it will have a limited life cycle as did the eight track tape and the vinyl record. Enjoy the ride while it lasts!!!

CHALLANGE: listen for 2 days!

Cable TV/Sat TV
Hi speed or dial up
Cell phone
need I go on?

Pay service is now the norm. You can never get what Sirius offers on an ipod...

news
sports
talk
current events
stock prices
Hey i did not mention music programmed for you by the best in the industry. Yea you can download your own music or you can have nina blackwood, Ememim, 50Cent, VanZant Buffet...and many more of the best program it for you.

I know $13 really is alot of money. Prob not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: