123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Look: Micronet miniMate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one of these babys from MacZones over the weekend. Although looks like I won't see it until the end of the month.

Where did you guys get yours from?
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on the noise. It is exaggerated by the fact that you now have it on your desktop instead of under it in a tower. If I have the radio on or a cd playing, I don't notice it as much, but it does ruin the stealth aspect of the mini. As far as heat goes, I have the unit under the mini and don't hear the mini fan kick on at all. Perhaps separating the units with the new Belkin hub would help the heat issue (although I'm not that keen on the Belkin unit, either).

Brendan
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puttyknife wrote:

Yes, my 160 contains a Western Digital WD1600BB. Putty knives, inserted halfway between front and back will pop it open, just like the mini.

Is it just like other external cases on the inside, so it will be easy to replace the HD by an other IDE-ATA-drive? Can you post pictures please? Idea
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
I ordered one of these babys from MacZones over the weekend. Although looks like I won't see it until the end of the month.

Where did you guys get yours from?

Straight from Micronet.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Competition for Minimate!! Reply with quote

http://www.macpower.com.tw/news/hot/2005/04/25/948
but this is a pity: "High quality aluminum coloured plastic", but one CAN PUT IN ONES OWN DRIVE Probably way cheaper than the mini mate! Cool
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition for Minimate!! Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:
http://www.macpower.com.tw/news/hot/2005/04/25/948
but this is a pity: "High quality aluminum coloured plastic", but one CAN PUT IN ONES OWN DRIVE Probably way cheaper than the mini mate! Cool

M9 looks sweet!
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Competition for Minimate!! Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

M9 looks sweet!

I emailed them throught the site to find out their prices and where to buy and some things like power (100 ~240 V, 50/60 HZ?) Still I'm wondering why they did not put more USB ports in them, though this backsite is pretty much filled up! Good thing is also, it powers up and down together with the mini! Micronets product doesn't!

Update: Their answer is: The product will be available towards the end of the month. All our products come with dual voltage systems.
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I have to agree on the noise. It is exaggerated by the fact that you now have it on your desktop instead of under it in a tower.

I replaced the hard drive with a newer WD 160G 8M cache drive. It is MUCH quieter then the WD 160 I pulled out (and subsequently dropped and broke). In fact, the one I pulled out was dated Dec 2003! The computer store by me had the WD 160 for 59.99USD.

Brendan
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dec 2003! Sad

I have the MM160 as well. Could post any pics of the inside of the miniMate? How do you go about opening it? Putty knife? Does the new drive still spin/run all the time?
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
mac.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance to see an upgrading in FW800 ? Especially, since Intel is casting a glance at 1394b … Wink
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac.com wrote:
Is there a chance to see an upgrading in FW800 ? Especially, since Intel is casting a glance at 1394b ? Wink

Since the mini mate and the mac mini pod are designed to work with the mac mini which works with FW 400, I guess not.

@Brendan, could you say more about your replacement job with the quiter drive? Post some detailed pictures from the inside perhaps please:?:
mac.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:
Since the mini mate and the mac mini pod are designed to work with the mac mini which works with FW 400, I guess not.

Of course, you're absolutely right. Am not planning to replace my iceCube FW enclosure but i eventually consider to buy a new macmini. At this time of year, i should expect till early september, in case of upgrading in which i believe… I already opened a thread about a "guessed" V2 ?

This is only "prospective" Wink
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't someone include some audio features in one of these things? How about a headphone jack, audio-in and volume control! Cool
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Why doesn't someone include some audio features in one of these things? How about a headphone jack, audio-in and volume control! Cool

If you consider it, the Mac mini has some serious omissions and one has to choose which are important enough to go for extra's or buy a different Mac...
jdryyz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my MicroNet miniMate for about a month now. As others have already mentioned, it is the hard drive mechanism itself that accounts for the noise and vibration. Everything else about the enclosure is excellent. So, to eliminate this unwanted element, I immediately swapped out the noisy drive and replaced it with the quietest mechanism I know of at the moment-- right here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=10

The included 80GB drive also appeared to be a Western Digital built unit but very OEM looking and probably a couple of models behind the above link. I'm sure it was fine when it was introduced years ago and placed in a typical noisy tower configuration, but it was certainly a poor choice for a modern drive enclosure like the miniMate. I have seen other photos of an open miniMate, though, so I am aware that some people are receiving better drives than others.

I was also a little bummed to discover that the included drive only had a 2MB buffer. When I queried MicroNet, they said the drives they use are 7200 RPM with 8MB buffers. Perhaps what he meant to say is that is what they are "now using". I could've got some old stock.

Needless to say, I am very happy using the upgraded WD drive. It is super quiet and it doesn't generate a lot of heat so it works just fine right underneath the MacMini. The original drive will be tucked away in case I need a warranty repair. Smile

I realize 80GB's won't be enough for a lot of folks, however, and my experience with larger drives size suggests that 80GB is the largest mechanism you can obtain using a single platter. Once you go above 80GB, you will be using more than one. This will automatically introduce more noise and heat as a result, but probably not much and I'm sure if a modern drive is used, it won't be anywhere near as bad as the bundled drives. Fortunately for me, 80GB is enough for my purposes. I am using my MacMini as a music server with my SlimDevices Squeezebox2. Works great so far!

On the subject of "sleep", I want to mention I that I am receiving just the opposite behavior that others have posted. My drive not only spins down when I put the Mac to sleep, it also goes to sleep all by itself! I haven't yet timed exactly when this happens, but it is definitely happening before my specified sleep time of 3 hours. Anyone have any clues what might be causing this? Could it be the drive itself or something about the enclosure? I checked my energy saving preferences and the box to "put my drives to sleep when possible" is unchecked. Damaged prefs file perhaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: