123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meromac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Meromac mini Reply with quote

Meromac mini
Monday, June 12, 2006

Macaholic, a member of the 123Macmini forums, has upgraded the 1.66GHz Core Duo processor in his Mac mini with a Core 2 Duo Merom running at 2.16GHz. "I've got your 14 stage pipeline and 4MB of L2 cache shared between two cores featuring a direct L1 to L1 cache transfer system, right here! Right now!" writes Macaholic. He also posted scores from Xbench 1.2 in OS X and SiSoft Sandra 2007 in Windows XP Pro, and the numbers look impressive.

Macaholic also hooked his Mac mini up to a Kill-A-Watt meter to test power consumption and posted the following results:

Yonah T2300
- Off 01 watts
- Boot 29 watts
- MacOS X/Win XP only 20 watts
- MacOS X/Win XP with 2 Folding@home CLI clients 37 watts

Merom T7400
- Off 01 watts
- Boot 41 watts
- MacOS X/Win XP only 21 watts
- MacOS X/Win XP with 2 Folding@home CLI clients 51 watts

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/487.html
ecking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too sick, I swear I'd pick up a core solo mini off ebay in half a year just to do this for fun.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice....

One gripe, as with most of these things, there is a need for people to take photography classes. Just to get some of this blur from happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think the street price for the T7400 will be? I think you need to get up to the T7400 before you get the 4MB of L2 cache.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do this down the road when prices come down on Merom chips or win the lottery, which ever comes first. I am still a little apprehensive about taking the heatsink off, but it shouldn't be that hard once you get down in there.
Macaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
What do you guys think the street price for the T7400 will be? I think you need to get up to the T7400 before you get the 4MB of L2 cache.

T7600 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz) 620$
T7400 (4MB L2, 2.16GHz) 423$
T7200 (4MB L2, 2.0GHz) 294$
T5600 (2MB L2, 1.83GHz) ?
T5500 (2MB L2, 1.66GHz) ?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic,

I noticed that someone in another thread asked where you got the chip, but you never answered. I'm not sure if you mentioned it somewhere else, but where did you get it? eBay? I didn't think the Merom chips were coming out until later this summer. Thanks for posting the power consumption numbers too. I was wondering how the 1.66Ghz Mac mini stacked up against the G4. From what I have read, it looks like they are pretty close
Macaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many folks have located them on eBay. I was fortunate enough to locate mine in the classified ad section of one of the premier overclocking sites. I'm a big fan of Apple Industrial Design and have quite an extensive collection of Macs (20" iMac Core Duo 2.0, two Mac mini G4 1.42, PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5, Cube G4 450, iMac G3 266, Twentieth Anniversary Mac, Color Classic) just to name a few. I've always enjoyed upgrading the processors in those Macs that could have such an operation performed. I like to tinker and am quite a hardware enthusiast. Call it a weakness. I also enjoy putting my personal Apple hardware museum, and other machines I have personally built, to work contributing to the Folding@home project run by the Pande Group at Stanford University. It is a distributed computing project that studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. You can learn more at www.teammacosx.net. When the Mac mini Core Solo and Core Duo were released it was discovered early on that the Solo could be upgraded to a Duo and that both models could readily accept Merom (later to be named Core 2 Duo). I had purchased a Core Duo T2300 1.66GHz (Yonah) model when they were first made available. Core Duo minis fold quite well, take up minimal space, and are quite miserly when it comes to using power. I wanted to find out just how great the "next generation" of mini would compare in folding output, power consumption, and heat production. I had seen preliminary benchmarks for Merom on several hardware enthusiast sites, but I wanted to know for myself just how well it would fold. I was able to procure a Core 2 Duo T7400 2.16GHz (Merom) CPU and proceeded to perform the upgrade and take my own step-by-step photo guide of what would be involved. The Meromac mini was born! Benchmarking was the next logical step to see the comparison of Meromac mini against other contemporary CPUs. Since I had previously installed Apple's Boot Camp (give me the bleeding edge any day) I thought it would be fun to run benchmarks under both OS X (Xbench) and Windows XP (SiSoft Sandra 2007). You can view the results for yourself. I'm certainly happy with the outcome! It's a power sipping, benchmark pushing, space saving, fast folding, multi-media powerhouse! Cutting edge! Big things DO come in mini packages! Say "hello" to the mini of the future! If I find the free time, and another Merom (which should hit the retail shelves at the end of July or early August) I plan on upgrading my 20" iMac Core Duo in the same fashion.
spoonman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic,

Thanks for the power consumption numbers... that is very nice to see. I am curious about the heat though. How is the mini handling the extra heat from the fast CPU?? Is the fan/heatsink combo that ships with the mini able to handle it?? Is it a safe assumption that the fan runs more, therefore the machine isn't as quiet??

Just curious on your experience.

Thanks!
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
Macaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to give you some idea of the heat, check the Tjunction temps from a Win XP program called Core Temp from my 20" iMac Core Duo (Yonah 2.0GHz) vs. Meromac mini (Merom 2.16GHz) located in the same room;

20" iMac
Tjunction 100C
Core 1 67C
Core 2 70C
VID 0.9500v
T2500 @ 2.0GHz

Meromac mini
Tjunction no reading given
Core 1 40C
Core 2 38C
VID 1.0000v
T7400 @ 2.16GHz

Granted the iMac has an LCD and video card in the mix, but you get a general idea of thermal comparisons. I will have to see if I can find the Tjunction readings I registered while the Core Duo T2300 was still in place. Subjectively, I would have to say, no problems handling the heat, and just as quiet as before.
spoonman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic wrote:
Well, to give you some idea of the heat, check the Tjunction temps from a Win XP program called Core Temp from my 20" iMac Core Duo (Yonah 2.0GHz) vs. Meromac mini (Merom 2.16GHz) located in the same room;

20" iMac
Tjunction 100C
Core 1 67C
Core 2 70C
VID 0.9500v
T2500 @ 2.0GHz

Meromac mini
Tjunction no reading given
Core 1 40C
Core 2 38C
VID 1.0000v
T7400 @ 2.16GHz

Granted the iMac has an LCD and video card in the mix, but you get a general idea of thermal comparisons. I will have to see if I can find the Tjunction readings I registered while the Core Duo T2300 was still in place. Subjectively, I would have to say, no problems handling the heat, and just as quiet as before.

WOW!! That is pretty good. The reason I was asking is at one point was was participating in the climateprediction.net project, but I stopped since this runs your CPUs at 100% ALL the time it is running... It actually killed the L3 cache on my G4 TiBook. I would love to set up a machine or two just to work on this project again. Of course, that is assuming I had a bucket of cash laying around to get a newer machine to run it...
Very Happy
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
Applegate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that you can upgrade the Intel Mac minis. Now, if we could just do something about that integrated video card. In my book, the video cards in the Mac mini and MacBook are totally unacceptable.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic wrote:
Subjectively, I would have to say, no problems handling the heat, and just as quiet as before.

That is great news indeed. I was worried about heat and the fan running overtime like spoonman. I'm about ready to order a refurbished Core Solo mini and upgrade to a Merom later this year or in early 07. I also plan on pulling the SuperDrive from my other mini and upgrading the RAM and hard drive as soon as possible.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic wrote:
Many folks have located them on eBay. I was fortunate enough to locate mine in the classified ad section of one of the premier overclocking sites.

Cool! I searched on eBay and only saw two listings. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
dahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is no news...
=)

26 sec superpi Cool
120gb Disc
WINDOWS XP! Smile

Last edited by dahl on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: