123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!! New guy needs help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phnguyen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: HELP!! New guy needs help! Reply with quote

I haven't bought a Macmini, though i truly am into the machine. My parents want a computer that is window based. When i saw about this "boot camp". So the Macmini is capable with this. After getting it installed into my Macmini then can i play window games, use burned cds from my old window computer, or plug my usb with window based sutffs? I really want an answer.
noah07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CoreDuo; I installed XP and tried it. Be sure, you can do all of them.
And you can make the default startup operating system XP for your parents so they can use it directly like a pc. And switching to Mac OSX will be as easy as pressing the alt button (on windows keyboards) just after starting the machine!
Apple Wireless Keyboard / Wireless Mighty Mouse
iBookmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noah, I have not been able to get any other partition or OS startup as default other than Mac OS on the main Mini drive. I have a MiniStack and Mac OS on that and want that to be my main startup drive. I can select it all I want in system prefs but it always starts up in the Mac OS in the main Mini. Same with Windows. Only way I can startup on a drive/partition/OS is hold option when starting up and select from there.
phnguyen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Noah... The Macmini is great isn't it?
noah07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iBookmaster;
I've never used an external drive, so I don't have too much informations about it. But for the OS's in your internal driver, if you have installed BootCamp there is an "Startup Disk" setting in System Preferences. So I can make my choise from there.

phnguyen; the mini is really silent and beautiful. I had never tought about switcing to Mac's. I got the mini as a present 3 weeks before and I sold my old PC 1 week ago Smile

But I wish I had 2gigs of Ram and more Harddisk capacity. If you can afford it try to buy it with 2gigs of ram!
Apple Wireless Keyboard / Wireless Mighty Mouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: