123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

warcraft III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
threeshardvisage

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: warcraft III Reply with quote

i sure hopes that warcraft III comes out with a patch for universal coding... i keep hearing that it runs just fine, but for somebody who plays online where every split-second counts, its not quite enough... there is a lot of hiccuping and when the battles get big, it becomes more unplayable than on my 400 mhz g4 sawtooth tower... i think its lame that its taking so long for blizzard to even comment on wether this is coming out or not... does anybody know anything about the possibility of a warcraft III patch for intel macs?

what irritates me, is that a lot of people say its working fine, which may give blizzard the wrong idea... yes, all the settings can be maxed out and still have a decent frame rate, but man, when those battles get big, it just aint happening... i think serious wcIII gamers would appreciate some smooth non-hiccuping more-than snapshot quality graphics when things get intense...

on a related note, the images for my buildings and guys change color every few seconds... whats that all about? this isn't as important because its little more than a bit distracting, and doesnt effect game play in a significant way
offabroadway

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey threeshardvisage. I've got these same problems on my mini core duo, and was wondering, have you got the solo or duo, and have you upgraded the memory? The flickering on my machine occurs in the fog of war areas on the egde of the map, and it is very distracting. For the most part it runs quick, but like you said, on a large battle, it lags (though still kicks the pants off my gf's old P4 tower).

My theory is that the flickering is the textures being moved in and out of the graphics memory, the graphics memory being adjusted, and then readjusted, and so forth. The graphics controller can request more than it's 64mb of memory from the system, and this may be weirding out the already-loaded game data. Maybe a memory upgrade would fix this. I know it definitely would help the lag.

Ditto about the patches though. Blizzard is sitting on their thumbs, if you get the drift.

~GF to get an iMac? Converting the masses... *grin*~
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get Windows up on that box and play there. It's not the best solution, but it'll work fine assuming you have a copy of Windows.

All Blizzard games are cross-platform, so your existing War3 CD should work fine to install on the PC. At least, last time I looked at buying a Blizzard game they were.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
All Blizzard games are cross-platform, so your existing War3 CD should work fine to install on the PC. At least, last time I looked at buying a Blizzard game they were.

My original StarCraft CD's were nasty-only...but I bought a newer set and they were cross-platform.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
threeshardvisage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the user who has been having similar troubles: i emailed blizzard and they are not releasing a patch for wcIII... sucks, i know... and no have not upgraded the ram

to the user who suggested the pc side... well i have recently installed xp, but unfortunately, i have lost my cd case with the frozen throne cd key on it! i have no clue where it is, and i greatly want to try wciii on the pc side, im sure it will run much better because the vram isnt capped

thanks,
-miles
threeshardvisage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offabroadway wrote:
Hey threeshardvisage. I've got these same problems on my mini core duo, and was wondering, have you got the solo or duo, and have you upgraded the memory? The flickering on my machine occurs in the fog of war areas on the egde of the map, and it is very distracting. For the most part it runs quick, but like you said, on a large battle, it lags (though still kicks the pants off my gf's old P4 tower).

My theory is that the flickering is the textures being moved in and out of the graphics memory, the graphics memory being adjusted, and then readjusted, and so forth. The graphics controller can request more than it's 64mb of memory from the system, and this may be weirding out the already-loaded game data. Maybe a memory upgrade would fix this. I know it definitely would help the lag.

Ditto about the patches though. Blizzard is sitting on their thumbs, if you get the drift.

oh, also, yes the fog of war screws up as well as the unit/building icons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: