123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why switch from a PC to a Mac mini.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Why switch from a PC to a Mac mini. Reply with quote

I think that you guys are missing several points about the budget PC vs. the budget Mac (Mini).

Mac has always been behind the 8 ball trying to sell its own product. Blame Steve Jobs, sorry Steve. Back in the 80's when computers were first entering the home there were 2 computer companies IBM and Apple.

IBM decided that the money was in the hardware and did not care about the software. They farmed out DOS to a fledging software company called Microsoft. IBM was a hardware manufacturer and I can only assume they never dreamed that computers would do what they do today.

Apple decided that they were going to make a complete solution. Hardware and software together that were designed to work in harmony. They were to Zerox, I can’t imagine how they got in, and stole, no lets say liberated several key ideas (i.e. The mouse…). Which was a very good thing since Zerox was a copier company and they did not have the ability (much like IBM) to make it grow.

IBM lost the right to be the exclusive hardware manufacture of PC hardware and many companies Compaq being the largest got into the hardware business. Microsoft was there supporting them all with DOS.

Microsoft’s Bill gates got an opportunity to see the Apple IIe, I can’t imagine how they got in, and copied the ideas found there. They just did what Steve Jobs did to Zerox.

What’s the difference between Microsoft and Apple. Apple makes the hardware and software. Yes you pay more for it, more on that later. Microsoft makes the OS and someone, Dell, Sony, Gateway, HP, Jose from down the block, puts together the hardware. There is a big downside to this. There is literally hundreds of thousands of hardware combinations that you can put together and ask to run Windows.

I used to work for Sony Vaio and HP computers before that. It is impossible to build a new computer and test everything a customer wants to do with it and have it be stable. The time I spent with both companies there were dozens of times we would create a system only to find out that where were major stability issues. With a build time of 7-8 weeks and a shelf life of 12-14 weeks there was never time to fix the issue. By the time it was discovered it all the product was built. So what happens to the customers that bought these machines? They just suffer with slow machines. Blame it of the software or tell them its normal…windows it a big program.
I can’t tell you how many times I personally bought a new piece of software and it won’t even load or crashes the system.

Apple in designing the hardware and the OS knows exactly how it works. There is only a few versions of each machine and they know the hardware works with the other hardware and it works with the OS. Furthermore we also can feel more confident that any aftermarket software out there works. There are just fewer hardware combos to choose from.

Win XP vs Apple OS X…OS X is Unix based which is probably the most stable code ever written. If I am not mistaken the G4 and G5 and both risk processors. The best and fastest computer processor to date

Win XP is designed to support a lot of hardware. It is much better that ME, 98 & 95 but its not all that. I have been a XP user since the day it came out. While I am not a programmer I have been in the position to teach people about computers and the technology behind them. I taught retail sales people so they had an idea what they were selling. I have the perspective of selling people solutions. A solution is I want to take my cd’s and make MP3s for a plane ride. What do I do?

The mini Mac is more expensive than a PC. It’s a simple answer…its called economics. Everyone that can get some fabrication time in China can make parts for a PC. There are a lot of manufactures creating PC’s. This makes the price cheaper. More supply. This is also the biggest draw back to a PC. Everyone that can get some fabrication time in China can make parts for a PC. Will those parts work with all the other parts out there? There is no way to know. And its never a situation of it does not boot. It just runs bad or slow or crashes. There is only 1 Apple. No one else makes a Mac. Less competition increases the price. But you get a machine that just runs better.

Take a look at what MOST people buy a computer to do.
WWW web surfing
Word processing
Digital photos
Digital music
Video editing (personal not the Adobe Premier kind of editing)
Create greeting cards and other ink using stuff.
Copying movies (yes this has become more popular.

Make it easy, make it work! That is the mantra of MOST computer buyers.

So not the Mini Mac vs. the budget PC.
The mini Mac has a slower clock speed but a better processor.
The mini Mac has a more stable OS that runs everything that MOST users throw at it.
The mini Mac just runs better with out hardware conflicts.
Yes even with its horrible hard drive speed and its sub par video card (I don’t count the memory here as you can upgrade it from apple) it is still a better machine than a PC.

The real question is can people get past the fact that they are using a less used OS. Everyone I know runs a PC. Shouldn’t I?

After several weeks playing with the mac I find it easier to use than my XP computer. Yes there is a small learning curve. But you have that with any computer. I actually think there was a bigger learning curve going from Win 3.11 to 95.

You can do everything on a Mac that you can on a pc. The only question is do people want to buy the Mac. I say they will if they use one.
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love pc and microsoft. I'm gonna be a dual user. Use my pc for gaming, and photoshop. Mac mini for alot of stuff.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skmstr3000 wrote:
I still love pc and microsoft. I'm gonna be a dual user. Use my pc for gaming, and photoshop. Mac mini for alot of stuff.

Please don't get me wrong. Both are great machines. Both are great OSs. The Mac hardware and OS are just more stable due to the reasons I mentioned above. The real advantage of the PC is that "everyone" uses it and to use a mac you are kinda an odd-ball.

I am an oddball--in the days of big SUVs I drive a Mini.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long history lesson!! Ouch! Anyway! Where I work most people are not computer literate. Most are lucky to be able to get into their email and surf the internet. I have always used Mac computers and I have had to indure a certain amount of ridicule because of that fact. But in the last few years the people that have ribbed me about it have started asking questions and have slowly started to buy and use Macs. Most are sick of having their computers slowed to a crawl with viruses, spyware and having to worry about numerous security problems. Like you said people want it made easy and want it to work without having to worry or know every single detail about how a computers work. Mac fits that bill. There is a place for Windows and the Intel type of computer but right now Apple just makes a better solution for most people. Easy and secure compairatively. I hope that for the sake of all computer users that Microsoft makes their new OS "Longhorn" much more secure and user freindly. I will be interesting to see!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longhorn does need to be more user friendly and more beautiful.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC's are great...Just don't run the nasty on them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tried of the virus and the spyware on the pc, but still gonna use my for games.
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tried of the virus and the spyware on the pc, but still gonna use my for games.
castaway

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just expressed the way many of us feel. Xp is much improved over its predecessors but still lacks the stability, security and beauty of OS X. The Mac mini is my first experience with OS X and I have no plans to go back. I am totally hooked!
bani

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont understand why so many apple advocates insist on things being either/or. by painting terms in pure black and white you turn away a lot of potential customers. why can't you have both?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
dont understand why so many apple advocates insist on things being either/or. by painting terms in pure black and white you turn away a lot of potential customers. why can't you have both?

I agree. The bottom line is that PC hardware is dirt cheap. And there are many alternative OS's that will keep you just as spyware/virus/trojan-free as OS X will. Many people think "PC" and automatically assume "Windows"...

Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mavherzog"]
bani wrote:
And there are many alternative OS's that will keep you just as spyware/virus/trojan-free as OS X will. Many people think "PC" and automatically assume "Windows"...

Smile

Yes but in fairness there are only 2 OSs with real public support. Windows and OS X. All the others are for techie and tweekers. Would you really have you mom or grandma run a linix box. I think not.

The masses just want to be able to figure out how to do it and they want it to work.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
Yes but in fairness there are only 2 OSs with real public support. Windows and OS X. All the others are for techie and tweekers. Would you really have you mom or grandma run a linix box. I think not.

Not once did I hint that the alternative OS's available for the PC platform were for everyone. I am simply saying that PC's should not be considered as strictly Windows systems.

However, my 5 and 3 year old children ran linux systems for the better part of a year without issue. The UI can be as simple (and even more so) that Windows if you want it to be. THAT is not the problem. It's the lack of good commercial software support. Not a problem for the more technical folks who will simply find an open source alternative...A bigger issue when your children are clamoring for the latest games, educational software, etc they see on the store shelves...

THAT is why both my kids now have Mac minis...
idave

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing software on Linux still remains a hurdle for most new users.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bani

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch your quoting ninjamini, you're quoting something i never said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: