123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel iMac rules over mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd have to put two 20" CRTs on the nVidia 7600GT (which seriously kicks ATI X1600 butt) in my PC to do that. Very Happy

BTDT with higher res on a 20" CRT (visible, not just total tube diagonal) to try watching HDTV. The problem even with a visible 21" of CRT at 2048 is that your 1920 width of 1080 programming is only 15.75" wide with thin black bars on the side and huge black bars top and bottom (can you say phospher "burn-in"?)... also meaning the movie image is the same as on a 18.5" diagonal 16:10 widescreen. Sad
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
pea-jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that bothered me about the iMac is/was the lack of a video in port. That goes for the model line since its inception. The issue I have with this is two fold. One, you pretty much have to replace the entire unit if you suffer a critical hardware failure and junk--err--recycle the rest. Second, even if the unit performs beautifully, obsolecence will catch up to it anyway. The CPU part will inevitably need to be replaced faster than the monitor. Tossing out a perfectly functional monitor because the CPU portion no longer cuts it is to me a waste of resources. At least if the iMac had a video input you could attach another Mac to it.

Even better, I'd love to see Apple put out an all in one DESIGNED for re-use. You buy the full unit, but the "brains" could be pulled out of the monitor/base unit and replaced with a newer model. I mean come on, look how long monitors work for... I am using a TEN year old CRT, hooking up a series of crappy PCs to before hooking up this Mac. I will probably send the monitor for recycle later this year for a more space efficient LCD. I hope to get ten years out of that one too.

And by the way, if it werent for the MacMini, I too would have probably replaced my dead PC with another one.
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The CPU part will inevitably need to be replaced faster than the monitor. Tossing out a perfectly functional monitor because the CPU portion no longer cuts it is to me a waste of resources

This is true.

But what should one get then? I need something better than a mac mini but less expensive than a power mac. I still think that the imac give you the most bang for the buck when compared with the powermacs and minis

Besides, when you buy a laptop to run the same risk (obsolences and hardware failure) that you mentioned.

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
splen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the G4 Imac. *looks wistfully into the distance* They don't make em like that anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: