123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macmini and Call of Duty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapoulos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Macmini and Call of Duty? Reply with quote

Anyone played graphic intensive games on the mini? Just wondering if the 64 mb videoram max really is a disadvantage? thx
offabroadway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much the 64mb that hinders the Mini's graphics prowess as much as the fact that memory is part of the system's 512Mb (which means the system actually has 512Mb - 64Mb).

I've been told that the Mini's Intel GMA 950 is equivalent to an ATI Radeon 9500 chipset (which is, in fact, faster than the ATI 9200 in the G4 based Minis) and can play most of the available Mac games out there.

Read: most. In order to ensure gaming performance on a Mini, you want to upgrade your system memory (1Gb or better) to give the system breathing room when the game is running. Making sure your game is Universal (not PPC only) also makes a huge performance difference.

You can also take a look at some of the topics on here about video memory; at least one member has a Mini that is allocating 256Mb of memory to the video processor. How this is, I'm not sure, as Apple has supposedly capped it at 64Mb. Something to look into, perhaps, would be ways to up the video memory.

Gaming on a Mini, despite what some people think, is a very pleasurable experience. You just need to set things up harmoniously.

~GF to get an iMac? Converting the masses... *grin*~
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an entire forum on the site dedicated to gaming--browsing through it might be helpful:

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20

Smile

Jamie
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I play Call of Duty on my Core Solo quite regularly and with the exception of one or two of the level it plays quite well.

If you didn't already know CoD isn't universal binary yet (hopefully it will eventually).

My mini is standard config and i have almost all the CoD settings at low or turn off and most of the time the frames stay between 15 - 30 fps with it dropping to 7 fps on occasions and over 40 fps when theres nothing happening.

i expect the performance to be great if you were to play it with windoz xp on bootcamp from what i've heard about other games.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: