123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel iMac rules over mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nascar42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Intel iMac rules over mini Reply with quote

I tried both generations of the mini and was unhappy with the mess of cabling and smallish hard drive and poor graphics.

I upgraded to an Intel iMac and all three of those concerns evaporated like magic.

The mini itself is sort of cute until you add all of the peripherals that make it a computer and all of the cables and cords and so on and so forth.

If you use all Apple peripherals with a mini it ends up costing more than an iMac. So you lose all around. If you use generic peripherals you do not have a true Apple computer.

Unless you really yearn for a small hard drive and substandard graphics the mini is not the best choice.

I do not wish to entertain any rubbish about "mini as home theater" because the would be the most expensive single disc DVD player ever created.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Okay if you like it I won't oppose Reply with quote

I agree, but the Mac Mini is being used as a low risk switcher machine, since it is BYODKM it is meant for those who wish to switch and it works I mean look it has clones, Mac Mini specific accessories, and Microsoft released a Mac compatible keyboard and mouse set MICROSOFT is admiting that Apple is a force to fear and want money if they must ally. Also, does that iMac fit on a self in your home theater set up? I say iMac is great for a desktop, but the Mac Mini is for switchers and a HTPC, like how the PowerMac is for pro design.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The existance of the initial, sub-$500 Mac Mini first quarter of last year is the single, biggest reason I am a Mac owner today. I don't even OWN the three Mini's I originally purchased in Feb of 2005...I now own a 20" iMac CD, 12" iBook, Mac Mini CS, and a 17" iMac G5.

Apple knew what they were doing with the Mini.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Apple knew what they were doing with the Mini.

Agreed. If there had been no mini I would probably still be using a Windows machine today. I would not have purchased an iMac because I DID have my own peripherals and was not a big fan of the AIO design. There are levels of satisfaction or usefulness that each consumer finds within a given product line or technology. Apple did well to recognize an opening and address one of those levels. I think the biggest problem is that sometimes the consumer doesn't immediately recognize where their own level of satisfaction is (i.e. whats best for me?).
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mini is what got me to return to the Mac world, so Apple and their marketing must have done something right.

For a time after that purchase I thought I would have been happier with an iMac, since I bought an LCD at the same time I bought the Mini. But I've since decided I like the idea of separate generic peripherals--that way if one thing breaks you can easily replace it and keep using the rest.

I wish Apple would come out with a headless solution between the Mini and the PowerMac/MacPro, but I don't think they will.

Smile

Jamie
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't live with the "small" screen and "substandard" resolution of the iMac... Wink
or stand to look at a computer that looks like Jay Leno all day! Razz

Click on image to view it at the original source
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Picaman. I like all of the features of the new iMacs except for the attached monitor. I want choice of monitor size, the ability to upgrade monitors and I don't like the idea of owning an all-in-one in case of breakdown. The only iMac I ever owned was a G3, which I bought used when the G4's came out. But if Apple ever comes out with a headless iMac more powerful than the Mini, I would be interested.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the points of the original post. The iMac is a great computer and a very elegant computer.

However my 20" Cinema Display is Apple and it is better quality than the iMac 20" display. I have a LaCie mini hard drive for additional storage. Cable management is a personal issue. Some of us can deal with it (meaning taking pride in running our cables, nice and neat).
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something of a conundrum.

A laptop/notebook is a self contained unit and can be used as such (batteries charged!). However in the Mini you have a laptop's innards in a not very large case purely designed for form and not function (3.5" drives at the forefront of my mind).

So the limitations of the form factor mean you need a number of peripherals (monitor, etc) to make up your "desktop" computer ... each complete with PSU and so on.

We like the form factor give or take but making a computer case that small does mean that everything that would normally be inside has to be added outside and the resulting arrangement can in no way be considered as neat as the Mini concept.

For those familiar with "Dr Who" what we really need is a Tardis Mini so that we can have RAID arrays and anything else you can think of fitted inside a case, the form of which would be tailored to the individual owners tastes. Wink

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post!

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
I just couldn't live with the "small" screen and "substandard" resolution of the iMac... Wink
or stand to look at a computer that looks like Jay Leno all day! Razz

I know you are being sarcastic, but for some of us this is true. Initially I disliked the look of the iMac. I did not like its chin or glossy appearance. Some of use also want a 23" or bigger display for 1080P.

To each their own. I bought the mini and a 20" ACD with the intention of buying a PowerMac down the road. I can then move the mini into the living room. These are things that are not practical or possible with the iMac. The initial model did not have DVI out either.
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never purchase another AIO computer from Apple. The G3 iMac was my first and last.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 20" 4:3 CRT monitors at 1600 x 1200 for years. Not wanting to give up the 12" screen height or 1200 vertical resolution to go to 16:10 widescreen, the 23" was the only choice to achieve that, as well as get 1080p capability. So now I still have 12" high by 19.5" instead of 16" wide. And a WHOLE lot more space on the desk free now!
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:

I couldn't stand trying to play WoW and UT2004 with all the graphics settings cranked on a Mini. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
I've used 20" 4:3 CRT monitors at 1600 x 1200 for years. Not wanting to give up the 12" screen height or 1200 vertical resolution to go to 16:10 widescreen, the 23" was the only choice to achieve that, as well as get 1080p capability. So now I still have 12" high by 19.5" instead of 16" wide. And a WHOLE lot more space on the desk free now!

I've got the 20" screen of my iMac and an external 21" CRT running at 2048x1536! Beat THAT for desktop space. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: