123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

512 + 1GB =???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: 512 + 1GB =??? Reply with quote

Please help me understand this? It's my understanding that unmatched pairs will take a speed hit, but how much would these configurations vary?

-512RAM(single slot)
-512 + 1GBRAM (unmatched pairs)
-1GB(single slot)

It's my assumption that the 1.5GB will be the fastest, but I'm not sure, I get mixed signals around here about the details of unmatched pairs. Would I be better off just running the single slot 1GB?

(This is also for iMac 1.83Ghz Duo, but this is the best forum I've found for these things)

((I'm trying to figure this out because I'm not sure if I want to commit to buying 2GB just yet, I'd like to start with adding 1GB))

Tanks in advance
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 512 + 1GB =??? Reply with quote

se7enbelow wrote:
-512RAM(single slot)
-512 + 1GBRAM (unmatched pairs)
-1GB(single slot)

None of three configurations take advantage of the dual channel architecture, so given the choice, go with 1GB + 512MB.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: memory configuration Reply with quote

Normally, 512 MB or 1 GB would comprise two memory modules. You can't buy it new that way, or with unpopulated memory slots.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you have an Intel iMac with a single 512MB SODIMM, I'd try to buy a similar one pulled out of another Intel iMac. That would be a cheap way to get you to 1GB of 2 matched sticks, which should be more than enough for now, especially considering you have dedicated video RAM, where Minis have to use some of the system RAM.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
ecking

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why an intel imac or mbp would need the matched pairs. They've got dedicated gpus so it's not like they need dual channel anything.

Infact at the apple store the other day their core duo mini was using 1.5gb if ram and it didn't feel slow at all even though they weren't doing dual channel to maximize the gpu.

So why would unmatched pairs on somethign with it's own gpu (imac, mbp) make a difference?
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple's RAM Expansion Developer Note wrote:

iMac Computer (January 2006)

The iMac computer introduced in January 2006, based on the Intel Core Duo microprocessor, provides two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant and must be unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

The computer ships with one 512 MB, 667 MHz, SDRAM SO-DIMM installed. The largest capacity SO-DIMM supported is 1 GB, so the maximum memory capacity is 2 GB.

The memory controller supports both 512 Mb and 1 Gb SO-DIMMs. However, because the memory in the two slots is configured as a contiguous array of memory, both SO-DIMMs must be the same size and type for the interleaving function to be used to improve performance. The iMac supports a CAS latency of 2.

The width of each 667 MHz memory bus is 64 bits.

The maximum number of devices per SO-DIMM is 16. See Table 3 for device and DIMM configurations.

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
So why would unmatched pairs on somethign with it's own gpu (imac, mbp) make a difference?

You're still doubling the memory access. I don't think anyone has stated that it is NEEDED (even in the Mini's)...it is simply the optimal configuration.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
offabroadway

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's written somewhere in the Apple website that switching to unmatched pairs when you upgrade your memory drops your throughput from 10.6Gb/s to 5.2Gb/s. So you get your memory, its just twice as slow.

~GF to get an iMac? Converting the masses... *grin*~
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: memory configuration Reply with quote

First, thanks for all the contributions folks, I'm learning a lot hanging out around here.

247 Photography wrote:
Normally, 512 MB or 1 GB would comprise two memory modules. You can't buy it new that way, or with unpopulated memory slots.

This is news to me....I was under the impression that the intels came with one single 512 stick, no? Just the iMM? Neither? Shiiiiiint in that case I might just take the 2GB plunge right off the bat.... I don't know where I got the idea that these comps came with an empty slot, but thinking back, it makes much more sense that they'd ship with both slots filled to make use of the technology...

Thanks again guys, i love this place. I just wish there was more traffic and more to read.....with time i suppose. Razz
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New iMacs (and MacBook Pros) with dedicated video cards come with one single 512MB SO-DIMM. When you Build To Order an iMac with 1GB of memory, you can chose to get it as one single 1GB SO-DIMM or two 512MB SO-DIMMs. The price either way is the same $100.

New Minis (and MacBooks) with integrated video come with two 256MB SO-DIMMs for 512MB. Since the integrated video uses the main memory, the usage of it is much higher than on the iMac and MBP. The processor speeds are also 82-83% that of the iMacs, so it's more important to optimize speed in another area, memory access.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: my mistake Reply with quote

My mistake. I didn't notice that this was an iMac question. This a Mac Mini forum.
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: my mistake Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
My mistake. I didn't notice that this was an iMac question. This a Mac Mini forum.

No sweat, in my browsing while trying to decide between iMac/iMMini, this quickly became my favorite/smartest forum...you guys know your stuff.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: my mistake Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
This a Mac Mini forum.

That's incorrect. As the forum description states:

Quote:
Desktops
The place to discuss G5 Towers, iMacs, eMacs and more!

This site has fora for other Apple products and this was correctly posted in the Desktop forum.

It's impossible to avoid references to associated products and the Admins clearly recognise that and make suitable provision.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think I did post this in "Upgrades" originally. Someone did move it here, it was my mistake...
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a couple of things. First, 247Photo is wrong and Tenex is right.

Second, having a matched pair will be faster than not having a matched pair, from a RAM bandwidth perspective. iMav hit this issue right on the head.

[quote=iMav]None of three configurations take advantage of the dual channel architecture, so given the choice, go with 1GB + 512MB.[/quote]

None will be slower than the other as none have a matched pair for dual channel. So more RAM will therefore be better.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: