123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchang5

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: MiniStack fan Reply with quote

See my review in the NewerTech MiniStack v2 review forum -- the fan issues were the only negative.

To reply: My NewerTech's fan doesn't go off either when disk activity is low or none. Disappointing, but not unbearable.

Still beats the pants off of the fans I had on my upgraded G4 tower. That thing was like the WindTunnel G4 tower, AND it was always making the room hot. The MiniStack and Mini should be much nicer.
brt3

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: And the best MacMini external drive/hub is.... Reply with quote

And the Jobsie for best MacMini external hard drive goes to...

(A drum roll please...)

The miniStackV2/750GB
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4409&start=75

At least it's the best I've been able to find. An order of magnitude quieter than the LaCie and lightning fast to boot. Guess the third time's the charm, as I'm keeping this one!
dahl

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant stand lacie. Crap discs.
120gb Disc
WINDOWS XP! Smile
JLennon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is selling these things? I haven't been able to find anyone that has one in stock.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLennon wrote:
Who is selling these things? I haven't been able to find anyone that has one in stock.

What about other World Computing, the firm which uses Windows on its own computers! (had a mailreplay form someone at OWC with Outlook!) Twisted Evil
JLennon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
JLennon wrote:

What about other World Computing, the firm which uses Windows on its own computers! (had a mailreplay form someone at OWC with Outlook!) Twisted Evil

I don't see them listed on their website. Anywhere else? Every site that I have seen them on says "on order", "call for availability" or "currently unavailable". I was looking to purchase the 320GB if that makes any difference.
CubeParts

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: miniStack on OWC Reply with quote

JLennon wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
JLennon wrote:

I don't see them listed on their website. Anywhere else? Every site that I have seen them on says "on order", "call for availability" or "currently unavailable". I was looking to purchase the 320GB if that makes any difference.

Here's a link to the 320GB miniStack at OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MS2F7320GB8/. I am presuming it is in stock since it says "Same Day" under shipping.
JLennon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I would like to buy the 320GB LaCie mini with hub.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLennon wrote:
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I would like to buy the 320GB LaCie mini with hub.

Aha, I see, what about checking La Cie's site for resellers?
JLennon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was my bad. I meant the 300GB LaCie mini with hub, not 320GB. They don't make a 320GB model. Embarassed That probably had you guys confused with the MiniStack. I've checked with most of the major Mac retailers including Amazon, Apple, Buy, ClubMac, Compusa, Best Buy, MacConnection, and MacMall. I've seen the 500GB model in stock at a few places, but not the 300GB. I could try ordering one directly from LaCie, but they are charging the full suggested retail price. I noticed that most of the retailers are selling the plain LaCie mini for less than what LaCie is asking, so I hoping to get a better price. But at this point, I woud be just happy to find one.
JLennon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI for anyone else looking around for the 300GB model. I was able to find one at Maczone.com. It should be here in 7-10 days. Very Happy
JazzyMac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hub from nextwarehouse.com finally shipped today. I'll give a short review once I receive it and get it all hooked up. Smile
continuum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 500GB version quieter or louder than miniStack v2? Reply with quote

brt3 wrote:
Dan Harkless wrote:
strh wrote:
brt3 wrote:
Dan Harkless wrote:
The most important thing to me is quiet. Has anyone gotten their hands on an LmHDH 500GB model yet?
Good God! This thing is incredibly loud...
Sadly, I have to agree with brt3. I had 2 500GBs delivered today and both become very very loud when the fan starts up.
That would be great. Thanks very much to both of you guys for posting your experience with the 500GB LmHDH. Guess I'm off to order the miniStack v2 and a 500GB Seagate HD to stick in it.

Have you seen they're making a 750GB miniStack? Tell me in advance; is this just asking for trouble? Will a larger drive usually generate more heat -- and therefore be more likely to produce more fan noise? The 750GB miniStack uses a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10; it runs at 7200 rpm and has a 16MB drive cache...[/i]

You would think that the larger the drive, the greater the heat.

We will just have to see with this one.
dimac1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: External Hard Drives Iomega Reply with quote

Just a quick question having read these musings, no mention of the Iomega drives available for the MacMini. Anybody used one of these and got any feedback. I am interested in adding extra storage space, but also use my mini as a entertainment centre in my living room so noise is important....

Cheers
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: External Hard Drives Iomega Reply with quote

dimac1 wrote:
Just a quick question having read these musings, no mention of the Iomega drives available for the MacMini. Anybody used one of these and got any feedback. I am interested in adding extra storage space, but also use my mini as a entertainment centre in my living room so noise is important....

Cheers

The Iomega mini is comparable with the Newer Tech Ministack (older model) and another brand which has exactly the same stuff inside. Not very nice made, plastic case has a ugly edge just around the corner, works good enough though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: