123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with Spam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Dealing with Spam Reply with quote

On more than one occasion, someone has created a membership on this forum, only to post spam.

I was thinking... what if new members had read only priveldges for a day? Or maybe... their first post must be approved by a moderator before it is posted to the forum.

Hopefully these suggestions help.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill,

We are doing our best to keep up new members. I'm sure we will make some changes as the forums continue to grow. These changes may include some of your suggestions and the addition of new moderators.

Charles
123Macmini.com
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the phpBB Administration Panel, go into General Admin > Configuration and click the radio button next to User or Admin in Enable account activation. That will at least add an email confirmation or Admin approval step respectively, thus helping prevent SPAM member signups a little.

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Spam Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I was thinking... what if new members had read only priveldges for a day? Or maybe... their first post must be approved by a moderator before it is posted to the forum.

The biggest problem with this suggestion is that many people will read forums like this for a long time and won't create an account until they want to submit their first post. And, often times, that is when they are having some sort of problem. Waiting a day would really put new users off I think...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Spam Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

The biggest problem with this suggestion is that many people will read forums like this for a long time and won't create an account until they want to submit their first post. And, often times, that is when they are having some sort of problem. Waiting a day would really put new users off I think...

More than a forum full of spam, swear words, trolls etc.? I hear what you are saying, but if in the signup process you explain why, I'm sure they would understand.

Something like "To keep 123macmini a clean, friendly, spam free environment we need to... thank you for your patience"
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only forum I've joined in the last couple of years that didn't at least require me to verify via an email.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Spam Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
More than a forum full of spam, swear words, trolls etc.? I hear what you are saying, but if in the signup process you explain why, I'm sure they would understand.

Is it actually that bad right now? The worst I've seen are just people who aren't very fluent in English. I think a voting system would be pretty sweet. Where users can vote on posts ala Digg and then users can have a setting of displaying all posts or only positively rated posts. This could apply to entire threads if the posts had really bad ratings.

I'm not sure of an exact algorithm, but if we had some cool AJAX voting stuff, I'd do it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Spam Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Is it actually that bad right now? The worst I've seen are just people who aren't very fluent in English. I think a voting system would be pretty sweet. Where users can vote on posts ala Digg and then users can have a setting of displaying all posts or only positively rated posts. This could apply to entire threads if the posts had really bad ratings.

I'm not sure of an exact algorithm, but if we had some cool AJAX voting stuff, I'd do it.

I think a voting system would work well for a forum that was topic based like Slashdot or Digg... to kill boring topics etc. But what we have been getting a lot of here is someone creating a new account and posting spam immediately. I don't think a vote is necessary. Spam is spam.

Email verification of a new user account sounds like a good idea to me.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email verification should DEFINITELY be in place. (I hadn't realized that it was not) That might be enough. (and, for the record, I agree that it hasn't been that bad....yet)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: