123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Elgato EyeTV 610 work with Windows XP MCE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macminiowner

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Will Elgato EyeTV 610 work with Windows XP MCE? Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for all the great feedback one can receive from dedicated members in this forum. Without your time and effort us beginners would not stand a chance...

I have never owned a mac and have barely used one before. However, time has come after extended research on the web to buy a Mac Mini CD 1.66GHz for use as a media center. I have not decided whether I am going to use Mac OS X or Windows XP, but I want to be able to alternate between the two... (please don't make this thread into a debate whether I should use one or the other)

However, since I have a digital cable provider my only satisfactory tuner option is Elgato's EyeTV 610 if I am going to be able to receive digital pay tv here in Sweden (have ComHem as my provider).

MY QUESTION IS: Will Elgato EyeTV 610 work with Windows XP MCE? Will the MCE EPG work with the tuner? Does anybody have experience of an EyeTV product and Windows XP MCE?

Thanks in advance!
khisayruou

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Elgato products, but I think you are playing with fire here. Elgato was designed to only run under macosx.

I do however know about a bit about MCE and it only allows OTA HD and you must have an analog tuner attached in order for it to work. Just something to keep in mind.
macminiowner

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
I do however know about a bit about MCE and it only allows OTA HD and you must have an analog tuner attached in order for it to work. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for your quick reply. However, what do you mean with OTA HD? Is it something that still applies to me being in Sweden? (thinking it might be a US supplier of HD or something similar...)
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could've missed them, but I don't know of any tuner available for Windows that is supported by the manufacturer on Mac OS, or any tuner available for Mac OS that is supported by the manufacturer for Windows.

I don't use MCE on the Windows side, but from what I understand, you can't add a digital Over The Air (OTA) HDTV tuner to it unless you have an analog tuner with hardware MPEG2 decoder installed first. That's one reason I use BeyondTV on Win XP Pro instead of MCE.

From what I understand, MCE doesn't support digital cable yet, but they're working on a one-way capability, which doesn't include pay TV. I might be out of date on that.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
khisayruou

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe is right. Nothing much has changed with the current MCE, it still has the same limitations since it was introduced.

Here in the US we get our free hdtv OTA (over the air). For us, digital tv in MCE is limited to an ATSC over the air antenna only.

Sorry I couldn't of been much help, I am not familar with how digital tv works in Sweden. www.thegreenbutton.com is a very popular site for things relating to MCE, maybe you will find your answers there if you choose the MCE route.
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that 80% of Americans get their TV from cable or satellite. While I question that, I do know that there are a huge number of us that don't use Windows Media Center Edition on our Home Theater PCs, and many are using other solutions because of digital cable. MCE comes installed on a lot of home PCs these days, and it seems to be popular with those just getting into home theater PCs, but my observation is that most of the serious HTPC owners don't use it.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
macminiowner

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MiniMoe and khisayruou for your help in this matter. I have read from trustworthy sources that eyetv 610 works well with comhem why I have decided to stick with mac as the htpc solution. Maybe I'll use MCE for surfing, or maybe I'll just get used to mac and stick with it... We'll see...

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: