123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"You just don't think it can happen to you..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay72488

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: "You just don't think it can happen to you..." Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was the brand new owner of an Intel 17in. iMac. I bought it refurbished, and luckily recieved a hard drive upgrade.

Unfortunately, that hard drive was faulty upon arrival and S.M.A.R.T. deemed it a fatal error. So 1hr. later on phone support and a wasted trip to an apple store has me sending back the computer tommorow morning.

I do support Apple. And I'll try to be conscious that "it" happen... It's just hard to believe that it happened to me...
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really the end of the world. Of course it's nice to get a new computer, but you'll make it through this. Consider us your support group.

Anyways, sorry to hear about that. I've been lucky and haven't had a SMART error at all yet, let alone in a new computer. Hopefully they'll accidently upgrade your hard drive to a RAID0 SATAII Raptor array or some such.

Well, one can always hope...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
wahoo mini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a new Mini Duo for about two months now, and one RAM module was bad. Of course, intermittent bad, so it's impossible to replicate the failure reliably. But after misdiagnosing it as software troubles, back to the store it went.

But, like you and the HD, they did fix it, keeping it a week to leave it on 24 hrs/day and test it. They were nice about it and so far so good.

New or refurb, stuff craps out sometimes. Hopefully we didn't get lemons. Confused
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that jay72488.

I have always found it best when I buy a new Mac to leave it on at least a week 24/7 (as wahoo mini eluded to) for that exact reason. It's kind of an end-user burn-in period of sorts...to ensure everything is working correctly.

Of course, I tend to leave my Macs on 24/7 anyway...I have 5 that have been on (with small exception) since the day I fired them up the first time.

Yes, electronics do go bad and are shipped bad...just part of the game. I have had a few bumps myself, but I do have to say that Apple really does have a pretty good track record as far as quality/reliability. Ansd remember, Apple doesn't manufacture the drives. Wink
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: