123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Windows Vista Ready

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Mac mini: Windows Vista Ready Reply with quote

Mac mini: Windows Vista Ready
Posted Tuesday, May 23, 2006 by Charles

There has been some discussion in our Boot Camp Forum about whether or not the Intel-based Mac minis will be compatible with Windows Vista. Most of the discussion seems to be centered around Aero, the new graphical user interface in Windows Vista. The Aero interface features translucent windows, 3D perspective, animations, rich texture and more.

According to the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta, Aero will be supported on the Mac mini, but there are a few requirements. You must have at least 1GB of memory installed in your Mac mini and 15GB of free hard drive space. If your hard drive doesn't have enough free space, you will receive a warning telling you what actions to take.

The Upgrade Advisor also allows you to test the compatibility of your Mac mini with the other features offered in Windows Vista. I am happy to report that the Mac mini will support all of the features listed, with the exception of those dealing with TV tuner cards and Windows Media Center connectivity. It will also advise you on what version of Windows Vista to purchase based on the features you select. And that, my friends, is where I called it a day. There is only going to be one operating system in my future. Think Leopard!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/481.html

Last edited by admin on Tue May 23, 2006 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand tuner CARDs won't work in the Mini, but I'd hope that USB HDTV tuners like my FusionHDTV Gold will.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to have Leopard and Vista installed at the same time, but I'll probably need to upgrade my hard drive first. Hopefully, prices will come down on 120GB and 160GB drives over the next few months.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Beta 2 of Vista certainly works on my Mini with Boot Camp. Didn't spend a great deal of time trying it out, but it installed pretty much flawlessly and ran pretty well too.

Going to try running it via Parallels Desktop next.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
Going to try running it via Parallels Desktop next.

I'm going to wait and see if Apple includes virtualization in Leopard. If they don't, I'm going to give Parallels a serious look. I mean Boot Camp is all right, but I'd rather keep in OS X all the time.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Parallels Desktop won't run Vista on a clean install. During the initial installation screen Vista complains that the Bios on the machine is not ACPI compatible and stops. I will try again from an XP - Vista upgrade, but i doubt that will work either... Bummer.

EDIT: Nope. so the only way to run Vista at the moment is via BootCamp.
solace

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
Well Beta 2 of Vista certainly works on my Mini with Boot Camp. Didn't spend a great deal of time trying it out, but it installed pretty much flawlessly and ran pretty well too.

is Aero working for you? i can't get it to work on my mini, just shows the default (ugly) Vista Basic interface...
1.5ghz Core Solo : 512mb RAM : 60gb HD : Combo : LaCie USB 2.0 16x DL DVD+-R : LaCie USB 2.0 250gb : 300gb Maxtor in external FW/USB 2.0 : Microsoft Laser Desktop 6000 : M-Audio Firewire Solo : Klipsch iFi
ion-break

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Yeah .. Fantastic and all .. but Reply with quote

I'm not going to let Windows touch my Mac, I have been giving windows the benefit of the doubt for the last 5 years, No more .. I say no more.

A clone of something is always going to be worse,

Windows Vista looks like a clone of Mac OSX
subaruwrx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: Windows Vista Ready Reply with quote

Quote:
There is only going to be one operating system in my future. Think Leopard!

AMEN BROTHER!! Let those chumps have features that OS X had long ago.
balahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get Aero on my Mini either (1.67 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM). I allocated 20GB for Vista in Boot Camp, and have now after installing Vista and Office 2007 Beta approx 10 GB left. Should this be sufficient?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: