123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G4 1.25 vs. 1.42

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: G4 1.25 vs. 1.42 Reply with quote

What is the performence difference between the 1.25 and 1.42. I am thinking of getting the mac mini and doing a hd & memory upgrade myself to a faster drive and 1 GB of memory.

So I guess the question is going from a 1.25 to a 1.42 G4 worth the $100 (20%) cost increase?

I am a PC guy one of those converts that Steve Jobs talked about. If that was a pentium processor I would not spend the extra money. Since its a G4 I dont know!
Hoffer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if you're going to spend the money on a faster drive and more memory, why not the faster processor???

I've got the 1.42 with a gig of ram. I'd like to upgrade the drive to a 7200 drive someday.
1GB iPod shuffle
ahh

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my math is correct its only a 13.6% increase. (A picky point I apologize.)

I think you will see very noticable improvments upgrading the HDD and RAM more so than the processor increase. Take that extra $100 and purchase a better HDD, better RAM or other add-on. Although it also depends on your needs, if you really *need* that extra horsepower. I couldn't resonably budget the cost for the processor over doing other upgrades myself. A better bang for my buck performance increase doing it myself. Your budget may be different.

Then you could always overclock the 1.25 if you wish to delve into that hack.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ahh"]If my math is correct its only a 13.6% increase. (A picky point I apologize.)

I think you will see very noticable improvments upgrading the HDD and RAM more so than the processor increase. Take that extra $100 and purchase a better HDD, better RAM or other add-on. [quote]

Couldn't agree more! Get the 1.25GHz and save for more memory and get a larger faster hard drive. OR... Wait for mini V2 and hope Apple makes some upgrades!
keaggy220

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you are also getting double the h/d for that $100 upgrade. It's worth it.
ahh

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keaggy220 wrote:
Don't forget you are also getting double the h/d for that $100 upgrade. It's worth it.

I'm not so sure it is worth it. Fromt what I understand, the 1.25's come with a 5400 RPM HDD as opposed to the 1.42's coming with a 4200 RPM HDD. It's a slower hard drive making the HDD upgrade even more necessary.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that if you get the 1.25 and do a hard drive upgrade to 80gb then you get the slower drive.
keaggy220

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read it seems that the 5400 RPM drives are being used when there are supply issues with the slower drives. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's what I've read.
John

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini: I think you are on the right track. That little processor boost is nothing compared to the memory/HDD boost you'll get. One word of caution: get as large an HD as you can. I bought the 80GB unit & have about 12GB free space. And this is after moving iTunes & iPhoto libraries to an external HD!

I elected to go with the 1.42 unit with 512MB RAM installed & the "Super" drive installed. My thinking was this would improve resale value if & when I upgrade to a G5. Nice to have that configuration & to be able to tell folks the case has never been cracked. Perhaps if I had followed your route I wouldn't be pining for a G5. The mini does what I need it to do, but I started using Livetype last night for the first time & I could feel it struggling. With a faster HD and 1GB of RAM it might have been more responsive. In the end, though, the final output was perfection. I continue to be amazed at what I can do with such a tiny & relatively inexpensive system.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
ninjamini: My thinking was this would improve resale value if & when I upgrade to a G5.

Sorry not to change the thread...resale value...what are you talking about??? I know people that cant give away PCs. Do you mean to suggst that these have some resale value? How much? I need an example.

As far as my mini i cant decide if i shouldd get the $500 model and do upgrades or get the $850 model loded.
John

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try shopping for a used Mac. You'll be amazed at what people get for machines that are 2 & 3 years old. I just looked at completed auctions on eBay. G4 PowerMacs are running from $800 to $1500 depending on configuration. Slightly used Mini's are selling for just below retail.

This just sold for $724: "Apple Mac Mini 1.42 GHZ with 80GB hard drive, 1GB RAM and Combo Drive. 1GB RAM is installed. It does not have Bluetooth or Airport Extreme card. This computer was used just once for a tv commercial shoot. It is like new. Cost of Mini including tax was $643. Cost of 1GB RAM including tax was $202. Panther is currently installed. I will install Tiger 10.4 for the winning buyer if you choose."

I'm into digital video & have been shopping for a Mac for some time. Coming form the PC world, I couldn't imagine paying $800 (let alone $1500) for a two-year-old computer. I ordered a Mini a week after they were announced.
castaway

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac mini's resale value should hold up well over the next year, but eBay may get flooded with first generation Mac minis when the new models come out. I guess that'll be the first test!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: