123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not mac mini related but concerning an old mac!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser9213

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Not mac mini related but concerning an old mac! Reply with quote

I picked up a Quadra 950 from a flea market today, but when I turn it on, I get a disk with a question mark through it. What does this mean? No hard drive.. Oh well. I apid 2 bucks for it. lol

Please help. thanks
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Not mac mini related but concerning an old mac! Reply with quote

kb3llm wrote:
I picked up a Quadra 950 from a flea market today, but when I turn it on, I get a disk with a question mark through it. What does this mean? No hard drive.. Oh well. I apid 2 bucks for it. lol

Please help. thanks

The disk with a question mark means that the computer cannot find a valid startup disk. You need to make a startup disk (floppy) and most likely replace the hard drive on the computer. I would first open it up and make that it has a hard drive and that it is connected properly, (the ribbon cable is connected tightly) A good resource to check out for these old Macs in www.68kmla.net

You should be able to find the answers your looking for and maybe even the parts and software to get that baby up and running again.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MacUser9213

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i make a startup disk if it DOES have a hard drive (I didn't check yet). Can you post a link to a startup disk or something?

EDIT: I cant figure out how to open the thing. lol

Grrrr!
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple's System 7.5.3 should work great on your 950. Low End Mac is a great resource for older Macs.

Here are some other resources....

Quadra 950 at Low-End Mac

Apple Developer Notes for Quadra 950

Quadra 900/950 Service Manual
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
MacUser9213

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Can you guide me through installing 7.5.3?
Also, can i use CD's or does it have to be floppies?

Thanks
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have to do some research on LowEndMac, because it's been so long since I installed a Classic Mac OS on a Classic Mac that I've forgotten. I THINK I may have burned the floppy disk images to a CD and was able to boot from that, but can't remember for sure.
MacUser9213

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I START the installation. I tried moving the .smi file (the first one) to my windows computer then movng that to a floppy but now that doesn't work, and i don't know how to get the floppy out! Help!
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, you boot the Mac with the mouse button held down to eject the floppy (or use a paper clip).

You can't just put the image file on the floppy disk. You have to use something that will make a Mac HFS floppy disk out of that image. And I don't know how to do that these days.
evilcalvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb3llm wrote:
How do I START the installation. I tried moving the .smi file (the first one) to my windows computer then movng that to a floppy but now that doesn't work, and i don't know how to get the floppy out! Help!

The paper clip straightened out and puched into the small hole should pop the floppy out. If I recall correctly, you are going to need an older mac and the included program called "disk copy" to turn the downloaded images into bootable working floppies. You will have to use floppies unless you can get your hands on a used CD to install from. Tha machine should run OS 8.6 with no problems. Not sure of 9.2.2 though. My 6100 G3 upgraded ran 9.2.2 for several years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: