123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy way to switch between VGA and composite output?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemons

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Easy way to switch between VGA and composite output? Reply with quote

I have:

Intel Mac Mini
VGA monitor
Old TV, composite video connection

Is there a simple and cheap way to switch between outputting on the monitor and the TV? I know I could buy the DVI -> composite adaptor from Apple and plug in the TV or monitor depending on what I am doing, but that's a real hassle. I want to be able to use the computer regularily for surfing, email, etc., then flip a switch, jump on the couch, then use my remote to bring up Front Row. Possible?

Edit: Oh, and audio can stay on the speakers I have plugged into the headphone jack.
Texark

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use your DVI to VGA adapter and run a cable into a Iogear 2 Port Video Splitter. Then run one VGA cable to your computer display and use a VGA to S-Video/RCA adapter for the TV. It should work, but the signal might be really crappy.
Mayhem

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is no:

See here for detailed answer:
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5847

You can use a simple VGA 'Y' Adapter cable to split the vga signal:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/446e6d800ae913c4273fc0a87f9c077e/Product/View/XH4242

These things don't work:
http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html
Texark

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem wrote:

These things don't work:
http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html

I'm glad you reported this. I was going to buy the Iogear switcher and adapter for myself over the next few weeks. Have you actually tried the adapter or did someone else tell you that it wouldn't work? Would being an Intel or PPC based mini make a differnce?
Mayhem

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth I never tried using one of them. I can't see how they could possibly (technically) work.

Also there are a lot of them going on eBay. I found a guy with 25 bad reviews and all were due to that item.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: