123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using your tv as a main moniter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minideezel

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Using your tv as a main moniter Reply with quote

I am saving up for a mini now but I dont have the money to get a new moniter. So I was planning on getting the DVI to Composite/ S-Video cable and then connect it to my tv. The people at my local Apple Dealer say that my tv would be in too low of resolution and my mini wouldn't go into that low.

I need advice Question

thanks
wizardgold

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: they are right Reply with quote

You will be better off to look around for any old monitor you can find even a 14inch monitor will be better than what you want to try and do.

To use the TV as your main monitor you will find a very unsatisfactory experience.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staring at a TV to read text for long periods of time will hurt your eyes. TVs are not ment for this that is why monitors have such high scan rates and resolution. Get a cheap lcd. I have seen them for $150 at Comp.
minidave

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the DVI to composite adapters with the same plan. I have a 50" projection TV that is about 8 years old. When playing DVD's the picture was fine, however for all other application, the text was very fuzzy. In a lot of cases the text was un-readable. I still intend on making my Mini part of my home entertainment system, however it looks like I will have to upgrade the TV to one that has a VGA or DVI input for a computer and has a higher resolution.

Anyway, that was my experience, your mileage may vary....
andp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text on a regular TV always looks bad. Unless you have a top of the line plasma or like minidave says one with a DVI connection plan on using it for movies and iTunes only.
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna hook it up (when I get mine) to my 50" plasma or my dell lcd monitor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: