123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How often to shut down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: How often to shut down? Reply with quote

How often do you guys shut your mini down? Mine has been on for 3 days set to sleep in 3 hours of inactivity
My PC is on 24/7 set to never sleep.
When you log off, the screensaver don't work. Should I just leave it logged in on idle?
ahh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being based on Unix/BSD you really don't need to reboot it ever. Unless of course a software update requires it. BSD, and OS X for that matter, has good memory management and garbage collection. You won't tend to see the perpetual memory degredation seen in Windows. i.e. the computer getting slower and slower over time, fixed by a reboot.

As far as the screen saver when you logout. Pretty sure there is no way around that. You could always just stay logged in, or simply hit that power button on the moniter, you'll save some energy in the process.
DellApple

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my Mac Mini and Dell Dimension computers on all the time. I hope you have good surge protectors if you follow suit. I have the ones that offer battery backup.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no point in having a desktop go to sleep. Computers run better and last longer when left on. If you had a laptop, then sleep is a must; but not for the mini.
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Uptime. Reply with quote

I have one with an uptime of 58 days.
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been up since I bought it in Feb. No problems here.
AmativeSound

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up since February?!?!? Holy cow. I really need to get mine soon. My PC needs a restart every hour. Rolling Eyes
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmativeSound wrote:
Up since February?!?!? Holy cow. I really need to get mine soon. My PC needs a restart every hour. Rolling Eyes

Don't blame the PC...blame the OS!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real science behind the shut down/leave running debate is inconclusive. They just dont know. I think what ever you prefer.

I only shut down my PC when I go out of town or we get a house guest (I can hear it down the hall). A PC should not ever need to shut sown for stability. Not if your running XP anyway.

I think we all know that Mac never needs to shut down.
cbutler486

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I just leave it on, shut off the monitor. You shouldnt really ever have to restart unless (as said earlier) software requires it, or you have a paranoia of heat issues, like i do. Smile

I only shut off my box when i'm going out of town and would rather not come back and find out my AC went out, along with the bearings in a Fan and find slag all inside my case... its happened with a pc i owned before.. no fun. (And the AC Repair bill was insane)

But all in all, there are no Defacto results on this argument, its been going on for quite some time. Some people are religious about shutting down their pc, some are die-hard uptime fans, just do what suits your fancy.

http://www.flukeit.org
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
castaway

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini is really stable! I only shut down when I'm leaving home for long periods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: