123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats "Rev A", "Rev B", etc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Whats "Rev A", "Rev B", etc? Reply with quote

I read on another site that many users reported problems with their "Rev A" intel imacs......

What are your takes on this, and when do the Rev B's come out?
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Whats "Rev A", "Rev B", etc? Reply with quote

se7enbelow wrote:
I read on another site that many users reported problems with their "Rev A" intel imacs......

What are your takes on this, and when do the Rev B's come out?

I'd be interested to read those as there are almost no reports of problems with Intel iMacs that I've seen other than what you'd expect ie. occasional machine with a problem DVD drive etc. Rev B who knows late 2006 possibly?

Tiger has created a few problems as its passed through it's short life but .4.6 has been a good release for me on the iBook giving rock solid Bluetooth.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
se7enbelow

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32719

That's the thread where I found all the "reports".

I'm with you Tenex, I've spent the last 2 weeks scouring the web for any and all reviews I could get of both the Intel iMac's and mini's, and I've never heard anything negative until this thread....I'm not familiar with the terms Rev A/Rev B, ect. I figured it's pretty much sub-generations, But I wanted to ask here as this has been the best resource for me as far as user related mac info goes.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

se7enbelow wrote:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32719

That's the thread where I found all the "reports".

I'm with you Tenex, I've spent the last 2 weeks scouring the web for any and all reviews I could get of both the Intel iMac's and mini's, and I've never heard anything negative until this thread....I'm not familiar with the terms Rev A/Rev B, ect. I figured it's pretty much sub-generations, But I wanted to ask here as this has been the best resource for me as far as user related mac info goes.

I could be completely wrong but most of the faults identified in the first post appear to me to be software related. The eBay issue particularly sounds like it's an incompatibility issue with Safari but then again it could simply have been a bad hour on eBay, I certainly have problems searching etc at different times.

As to browsers there are lots of problems due to the differing standards each of them implements. That's why I moved to Firefox when it launched as they're building a product that conforms to industry standards but many websites conform to Internet Explorer standards.

RevA/B is simply the different generations of any given product during its lifetime, eg. the iMac G5 went through 3 Rev's I think - check on lowendmac.com - in fact if you look at the G4 iMac that went through many more as processors and screens etc were upgraded.

With ANY manufactured product it'd be reasonable to expect component failures perhaps due to bad batches, again Apple appear to be pretty lucky so far.

As I said above Tiger has had a few low spots but the last release is definitely an improvement (for me).

Often when a new product ships a lot of problems are ironed out in the first generation/Rev (think cars) but Apple struck lucky with the Intel move as they've had far fewer than you would expect with a change of architecture. Macbook Pro's have a few issues and Mini's have the wifi/BT issue but the iMac's appear to be ahead of both so far.

One final point whic may be self evident but bears repeating: almost the only posts you'll get regarding any computer product relates to problems/issues/faults. By definition if you have no problems then most people don't report anything.

se7enbelow

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Just placed an order for a Refurbished iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo!
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

se7enbelow wrote:
Thanks for the input.

Just placed an order for a Refurbished iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo!

Congratulations - you'll love it. Let us know when you get it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: