123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PlayStation 3!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: PlayStation 3!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

$500 for the basic model, but $600 for the upgraded version.
It's actually a good deal compared to a Xbox 360.

If you want to know why I say that, then ask, I'll explain. Cool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite! What makes it a better deal? Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll round off the penny in the prices.

$400 - 360
$100 - WiFi adapter
$150-200 - HD DVD drive (add-on)
$15-30 - Memory card reader
$100-150 - Upgraded HD to 60GB
----------------------------------------
$765-880 - Total 360 set-up

$600 - PS3/built-in WiFi/Blu-Ray/Memory card reader/60GB HD

Not to mention the longer life spans of the PlayStation systems.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: PS3 Reply with quote

it is more aimed at people looking for a great gaming system with some good home entertainment value, but Sony said they are getting hit hard to make it that affordable.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: PS3 Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
but Sony said they are getting hit hard to make it that affordable.

That doesn't surprise me. Slot-load Blu-Ray, Cell, the RSX GPU, Bluetooth, a 60GB HD, memory card reader, WiFi.
The thing is also beautiful and heavy just over 11 pounds. The old Xbox was only 8 1/2 pounds and was the heaviest console.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs are awesome, but at $600 I think the PS3 is going to be a tough sale. I'm sure there will be die-hard gamers waiting in line for the first systems. But what happens after the initial hype? I think the PS3 is too expensive for the causal gamer and kids to buy. And, what happens if MS lowers the price of the Xbox 360 and Nintendo comes out with the Wii for $200? It's possible that Sony could be in third place. JMHO
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may appeal to hard-core gamers but for those of us who have a console for casual family use I'm not so sure. We'll stick with our PS2. It performs well enough, thank you.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True it might not appeal to casual gamers, but like the PS2 it will still have some masse appeal. Think about it, it's a Blu-Ray player for $500-600. Of course it's isn't exactly the same for PS2. I mean not everyone wants or even knows what a Blu-Ray player is. But when all the other players are $800-1000, it's a bargain.
Like I said earlier, a comparable Xbox 360 is going to be more expensive. Sure Nintendo is going to be way cheaper. They still will not have to the third party backup that Sony has. MS will have almost the same backup as their games will be ported between systems (like Oblivion).
Sure most of these are mute points. But it is still going to sell well if not for all the people buying it to sell on eBay. Just like the 360, there were more people selling it on eBay than you could find in stores. Watch all these people trying to make money off of people who can't or won't wait in line overnight.

I still think you will be surprised on the sales of the PS3. The high-price electronics sector has been doing well, even amid some economic issues with our country (which has improved since and continues to improve slightly). People still wanted their HDTVs. Plus as a country in debt, there are going to be so many maxed out credit cards.
I mean people buy their big V8 SUVs and pick ups. Or buy their 2nd-3rd-4th Mac (honestly, being a Mac fan doesn't come as cheap as a PC consumer).
Or that Plasma TV, or other high ticket items. They are still bought and more often than some think.
Some just buy to have the latest and greatest. I know there are quite a few of you here also.

I just personally think it is a bargain for what you get. New tech that does more than just play games and movies. It is going to basically be a computer, which you can install an OS on it.

Plus, everyone said the same thing when the PS2 came out.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Think about it, it's a Blu-Ray player for $500-600. Of course it's isn't exactly the same for PS2. I mean not everyone wants or even knows what a Blu-Ray player is. But when all the other players are $800-1000, it's a bargain.

The Blu-ray player and HDMI connectivity will definitely make it more appealing for someone like me. I don't understand what they are doing with the less expensive model (the one with a 20GB hard drive), but I'm sure there will be people that pick it up just for the player alone. Heck, it's got Microsoft worried enough that they are releasing a HD-DVD for the 360 later this fall. But what I really want to know is, what are these things going to sell for on eBay when there are those enviable initial product shortages? Shocked Laughing
Din

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it will move in the U.S. is sort of an unknown IMO for the reasons everyone here puts forth. But in Japan, it will sell just as well as the PS2, even at that price.

I will probably get one, but largely becasue I will use its Blu-Ray movie capability.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
But what I really want to know is, what are these things going to sell for on eBay when there are those enviable initial product shortages? Shocked Laughing

That is a good question. They are supposed to ship 4-5 million units by the end of the year, but that is for all regions. My guess is that the US will get something around the number of 2-2.5 million, with at least 900,000 for launch day. With Japan around 1-1.5 million and Europe around the same. I think in Europe it is going to be an even tougher sale. Being that it is going to cost an extra $100-150 for them, based on exchange rates.
Still around 700,000 - 1,000,000 units on launch day wouldn't be as bad as the 360. Which was around 380,000 units on launch day. Not to mention the supply issues which didn't help production until only a few months ago. Sony's goal is something in the number of 100,000-200,000 units every week for the US. So if you don't get the first initial batch, there should be a more steady supply.

There is still another factor involved as well. Defective units are going to account for a big number, especially for a bigger release than the 360. Rumor of around 1-in-5/6 is supposed to be the defective rate. (Rumor that is)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the price point being like $1500 on eBay. Sad isnt it? I read about a month ago cant remember the site but it had some interviews with some Mom and Pops shops stating that they are going to sell the units that they get on eBay anyways...Why? because they can. I think Sony shot themselves in the foot with the price point. Seriously do we actually need a Blue-Ray dvd player? Most people dont even have HD TVs yet. We will see in the Summer of 2007 when you can actually walk in to a store and get one to see how well its doing. Ill stick with my 360. Cant wait for Gears of War Smile
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who will buy it but I think a rather large market segment will also be disenfranchised by the PS3.
I'm afraid that Sony may have fallen into the feature-bloat trap and thus extending the price-point beyond what those who just want to play games may be willing to pay. I don't need (or want) a high-powered supercomputer that also makes toast, slices and dices, and includes built-in media components that may or may not become the standard. I want a console that does one thing and does it well; games.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: