123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini and Avcast Network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapoulos

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Mac Mini and Avcast Network? Reply with quote

Avcast (crossbarmedia.com) enables the distribution of broadband video, audio and infrared control signals over existing coax cables in your home. I was originally looking into this to distribute Tivo to every TV in my house. Then I started thinking of the possibilities of not only having a MacMini as a TV media center, but have that on every TV in the house! As long as you output onto an RCA type signal (either through an adapter or something of the sort) it should work. The Avcast kit has no DVI input or HDMI input. Since I don't have a MacMini yet, can someone tell me if it has the same infrared eye as any other dvd, cable device? Just trying to figure out if this will work like I want it to...so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the TiVo is concerned...why would you need to pay for something like that? There is standard coax output and that can be fed into a splitter to feed your entire house.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sapoulos

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?... because if you feed the Tivo to the rest of the house everyone HAS to watch the same thing. The Avcast allows you to tune to a specific channel that is blocked to watch Tivo (or DVD, Cable, GameConsoles, etc.). Plus you can control those devices from any TV in the house. Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if you can control the MacMini the same way? I know you can broadcast the video signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: