123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid Question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Stupid Question? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Does anyone know if I will damage my Ipod by running with it in my pocket?
I know many people who use theirs at the gym, buy they mostly have nanos or shuffles which both have flash memory. As the 'full size' ipod has a real HD in it and I REALLY cant afford to replace a broken one I thought I ask!

Cheers! Very Happy
splen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I really want an itrip for my car but I've just found out that they're illegal in the UK!?
Does anyone know of anything similar out there, without having to resort to one of those crappy tape player things (they just get jammed in my CD slot!)

Thanx again!
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
(they just get jammed in my CD slot!)

Well, it should, it is a tape adapter after all... Smile

The iPod HD spins up ever 25 or so minutes when on a playlist or on shuffle. When selecting songs constantly, it is more frequent. During the 25m of off time, the iPod's HD is parked, and not very easily damaged.

High impact stuff where there will be a lot of movement can jar the drive and crash the head. I would suggest, if you are using a treadmill or something, to place it in the cupholder to reduce movement and keep the pod safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question? Reply with quote

splen wrote:
Hey all,

Does anyone know if I will damage my Ipod by running with it in my pocket?
I know many people who use theirs at the gym, buy they mostly have nanos or shuffles which both have flash memory. As the 'full size' ipod has a real HD in it and I REALLY cant afford to replace a broken one I thought I ask!

Cheers! Very Happy

Anytime you have moving parts, there is a potential for shock damage. Even though the iPods disk spins down most of the time. I would take a serious look at the nanos for running. If you ask me, the 5G's are just a little too big to be running around with. Plus, there are some rumors floating around that Apple may increase the nano's storage capacity over the next couple of weeks. You might want to wait around for the next update.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
Also, I really want an itrip for my car but I've just found out that they're illegal in the UK!?
Does anyone know of anything similar out there, without having to resort to one of those crappy tape player things (they just get jammed in my CD slot!)

Thanx again!

i live in the UK and have used the itrip and your going to have to be immensely unlucky to be fined for using the itrip, its only a short range FM transmitter 10 metres or so, i would just go with that.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
bass_munkie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make sure you don't have it turned on going past any police cars. i doubt most even have a clue what it looks like. they are easy to get hold of on ebay. the closest thing is probably your crappy tape adapter.
splen

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I recon I'm gonna chance the ipod running thing for now, I don't run very far or very fast so I think the skip protection should be adequate. I just can't justify buying even a shuffle as well as my 30g ipod at the moment!

Also I'm gonna go with the itrip off ebay idea, maybe this is the beginning of a new life of crime! (insert evil laugh)

Thanks again people Very Happy
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: well not a problem for me Reply with quote

I got a 1GB nano that I use when I workout and I might not get a video for a while though, what with the idea of getting a Mac Mini and all. I normally don't listen to much else than have my library, but I wish I had something to watch those videos on.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 40GB 4th gen iPod has been getting pounded around for more than 1 year in my 4*4 oilfield truck. Lots of offroad with some pretty nasty bumps at 80+km/hr. Not an issue. Much more than what you would put it through at the gym. Maybe less constant small bumps, but I've driven enough rough gravel to say you should be okay.

I though the same thing when I bought it but so far, so good. However a nano would be best for the gym. Solid state and light weight, cheaper, more stylish, less conspicuous.

You may want to use lower bit rates and avoid playing with the controls to reduce the amount the drive is spinning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: