123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safari hanging networking issue?.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casiop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Safari hanging networking issue?..... Reply with quote

Safari is hanging all the time! The status bar will go over like 25% and just sit there forever. Does anyone else have this problem? I went into Networking and added the optional DNS name server and that has not helped. I also tried taking it off automatic DHCP and set it up with its own IP address and that has not helped either. Any ideas??
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TinkerTool has a fix for this issue. "Reduce the delay time of Safari before page content is displayed "

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html
idave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll see continued progress with Safari in Tiger. Safari has come such a long way in such a relatively short time!
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari hanging networking issue?..... Reply with quote

casiop wrote:
Safari is hanging all the time! The status bar will go over like 25% and just sit there forever. Does anyone else have this problem? I went into Networking and added the optional DNS name server and that has not helped. I also tried taking it off automatic DHCP and set it up with its own IP address and that has not helped either. Any ideas??

Wouldn't know anything about Safari. I used it one day and then installed Firefox... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari hanging networking issue?..... Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Wouldn't know anything about Safari. I used it one day and then installed Firefox... Smile

Was there something you didn't like about Safari?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this happen to me before and the one thing that I found that seems to help for Safari and other apps that hang like that is to repair Disk Permissions. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility then choose your hard drive that your applications reside on and then click on Repair Disk Permissions. Once you have done this open up Safari and see if it works any better. To keep things running smoothly I repair disk permissions about once a week.

Another thing that might help is to clear the cache for Safari. Goto the Safari Menu and click on Clear Cache you may have to reset some of you setting for Safari but if it takes care of your problem it's worth!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
casiop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I have had this happen to me before and the one thing that I found that seems to help for Safari and other apps that hang like that is to repair Disk Permissions. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility then choose your hard drive that your applications reside on and then click on Repair Disk Permissions. Once you have done this open up Safari and see if it works any better. To keep things running smoothly I repair disk permissions about once a week.

Another thing that might help is to clear the cache for Safari. Goto the Safari Menu and click on Clear Cache you may have to reset some of you setting for Safari but if it takes care of your problem it's worth!

I have tried clearing the cache and it seems to be a temporary fix. I'm going to repair the Disk Permissions like you suggest. I'll let you know if it helps!
dbatrium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Safari hanging networking issue?..... Reply with quote

Asolutely, even on the iMac G5, what I have done as a work around is open a fresh page on one that is stalled. Then the stalled page seems to kick in. I have seen this since OSX 10.3.8 and it is worse with 10.3.9.

I have been thinking of running 10.3.9 over again I downloaded it to update my other machines.

I have found my old netscape 7.2 is now faster. Must be all the security is weighing it down. They have mentioned problems with some updates.
Yep do cache clearing consistently.

Anyway my work around tends to kick things along and if they stall for to long I dump the page and start again.
Regards
JJ Sad Cool Laughing
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling cookies.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
dbatrium

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Blazer,
I have to laugh, Tonight here at midnight everything went down Apple who normally are up were down as well, Yahoo and my normal browser channels were down, then twice this happened then afterwards it was like my speed had jumped 3fold. I heard there was some sort of virus around from Germany , I guess many PC systems are down tonite.

My web site is lightening fast now...

By the way I had cleaned up the hard drive reinstalled the os9, did the permissions, and now I have switched off the cookies.

It flows like water in a stream and I think it is that there is none of the usually clogging of my web page as well.

Anyways thanks for the idea Blazer every little advantage counts.
I also noticed eBlogger is getting harder and harder to use, so many errors so I have gone in another direction.. ALL Mac. Lol.
I still have those pesky reference posts to Google though.

How do you clean up Google eBlogger LOL?
Regards
JJ
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed hangs in Tiger with Safari when it goes to display the RSS icon. The status bar will just sit there 75% complete for 20-40 seconds.
MacPredict.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari hanging networking issue?..... Reply with quote

devo wrote:

Was there something you didn't like about Safari?

I've found on admin type pages, with long (LONG!) tables (e.g. mailman) safari is an order of magnitude slower to render pages than firefox. On most pages firefox seems to be a little quicker, so I'm using it as my main browser for that reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: