123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Security Update 2006-003 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-003
Thursday, May 11, 2006

Apple has released Security Update 2006-003 via Mac OS X's Software Update Utility and on the Web. According to the company, Security Update 2006-003 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CFNetwork, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, curl, Finder, Flash Player, Plug-in, ImageIO, LaunchServices, Mail, Preview, QuickDraw, Ruby, Safari, and securityd.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/473.html
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

1) If you have an Intel Mac and Adobe CS2 installed, this update may give you problems. See here for the solution before you upgrade:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2312301#2312301

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060512084131713

Apparently one solution is to disable Adobe Version Cue on startup. The update may be causing problems with PPC startup items on Intel Macs.

2) Mac OS X now has zero unpatched known vulnerabilities. Take that, Windows Razz

http://secunia.com/product/96/

Smile

Jamie
kuro

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

1) If you have an Intel Mac and Adobe CS2 installed, this update may give you problems. See here for the solution before you upgrade:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2312301#2312301

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060512084131713

Apparently one solution is to disable Adobe Version Cue on startup. The update may be causing problems with PPC startup items on Intel Macs.

Some users are being affected by a different problem. After rebooting the login screen flashes up briefly and then disappears leaving a blue screen. After a while the spinner appears and then the OS drops to the command-line login screen (black screen with login prompt in top-left corner).

It isn't possible to get to the GUI via safe boot mode either. Resetting flash with cmd-opt-P-R doesn't help. Booting from the install CD and repairing permissions or disk (fsck) doesn't help either.

This second issue seems to be affecting some users with PPC Macs and some users with Intel Macs and may be unrelated to the StartupItems iissue.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went against my usual policy and installed this update--I have a tendency to wait a few days to see if problems crop up and new versions are issued. That's happened recently with another security update, I think.

I didn't have problems installing to my G4 Mini, but I'd still recommend holding off a few days on this one, especially if there's an Intel Mini involved. I have a feeling that Apple may quietly reissue this one.

Smile

Jamie
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems on my G4 iBook. We'll see how the Intel iMac and Mini goes this afternoon. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which leads me to an interesting question....

How do you install updates from the command line? (assuming you have the problem above or ssh'd remotely into the box)
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
How do you install updates from the command line? (assuming you have the problem above or ssh'd remotely into the box)

$ which softwareupdate
/usr/sbin/softwareupdate
$ softwareupdate --help
usage: softwareupdate <mode> [<args> ...]

-l | --list List all appropriate updates
-d | --download Download Only
-i | --install Install
<label> ... specific updates
-a | --all all appropriate updates
-r | --recommended only recommended updates
-u | --url <url> ... from signed package URLs

Per-user preferences:
--ignore <label> ... Ignore specific updates
--reset-ignored Clear all ignored updates
--schedule (on | off) Set automatic checking

-h | --help Print this help
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's GREAT! Thanks!

[edit]Got 'em all 3 installed (from the Dell 8600). Found that I didn't need to use -d because -i downloads them. Installed them one at a time between reboots because they were all "restart" required.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
resuna

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Mac OS X now has zero unpatched known vulnerabilities.
Open "Safe" Files After Downloading is a vulnerability.

The use of the same set of bindings for helper applications (for URIs and file types) by both Finder and Safari is a vulnerability.

Popping up another "Hi I'm an annoying message you always approve anyway so just click 'Infect Me'" dialog box is not "patching a vulnerability", it's "providing an illusion of security for naive users".
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My statement referred to the Secunia site's assessment of the situation, which was linked immediately below in my original post. As Secunia is a major purveyor of Mac FUD, that page was amusing to me.

I think it's all in how you define "vulnerability." I agree with you that OS X is deficient in that area, but I also think that no OS is ever going to be invulnerable to social engineering.

Smile

Jamie
resuna

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I agree with you that OS X is deficient in that area, but I also think that no OS is ever going to be invulnerable to social engineering.
If it was just "social engineering" I wouldn't have a problem. Anyone can learn not to be "social engineered" by viruses and worms... at work, there are people who have been tricked into downloading an attachment or file and opening it, once. I've never had someone come to me and say "I downloaded and opened a file and I got infected again".

I have had people come to me and say "I clicked the wrong button and I got infected again".

The difference is between a reflex, and a decision. A trained response, and a choice. Pavlovian conditioning, not social engineering.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I've never had someone come to me and say "I downloaded and opened a file and I got infected again".

That's because they are too embarrassed to tell you Razz Laughing

Seriously, your points are well taken. Hopefully Leopard will address this issue.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: