123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini M9 Module Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that will work.

The M9 looks like the hard drive is on the USB connection, not the firewire connection. It has a firewire hub, but the specs seem to say the hard drive in it will be USB.

That would mean it won't be bootable, so you won't be able to install Tiger to the M9 hard drive. The Mini doesn't boot off of USB drives, does it?

Or am I misreading something?
resuna

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Anyone got a better picture of the back? Reply with quote

jase wrote:
The M9 looks like the hard drive is on the USB connection, not the firewire connection.
[...]

I don't know, I didn't see anything that said the hard drive on the FW version was USB-only, and there's a switch on the back above the FW ports that looks like it's labelled "USB2 <--> 1394", though it's really too low a resolution to be sure.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
Lou would you buy the M9? I'm seriously looking at getting one, but I'd like to see one in person first. Arrow "High quality aluminum coloured plastic" this scares me a bit.

I need to get the damn Mini first! Hopfully by the end of this week I will have it. I has been shipped and is enroute!

I would have to see what the price is and see if it is indeed bootable via the FW! I do have a drive that I want to put in something like this but it seems like there are new options like this for the Mini everyday now! I will get the Mini and keep my eye and ears open before I jump on anything but if this is as good as it sounds and the price is reasonable for what is offered the answer is yes I would buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
andp

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I jump on anything but if this is as good as it sounds and the price is reasonable for what is offered the answer is yes I would buy it."

If the M9 is priced under $100 and the reviews a favorable I'll probably pick one up.
jase

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a better picture of the back? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
jase wrote:
The M9 looks like the hard drive is on the USB connection, not the firewire connection.
[...]

I don't know, I didn't see anything that said the hard drive on the FW version was USB-only, and there's a switch on the back above the FW ports that looks like it's labelled "USB2 <--> 1394", though it's really too low a resolution to be sure.

I guess I was basing it off the promo material... "The M9-DX is a new external USB disk drive enclosure, which also has a built-in USB/FireWire port replicator."

That sounds to me like the hard drive will run on the USB connection. Maybe it's just badly written. But they didn't call it a "iEEE1394 disk drive enclosure". Taken literally, it looks like a USB drive.

I hope the hard drive is firewire...
tyleromeo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a better picture of the back? Reply with quote

jase wrote:
resuna wrote:
jase wrote:
[...]

I guess I was basing it off the promo material... "The M9-DX is a new external USB disk drive enclosure, which also has a built-in USB/FireWire port replicator."

That sounds to me like the hard drive will run on the USB connection. Maybe it's just badly written. But they didn't call it a "iEEE1394 disk drive enclosure". Taken literally, it looks like a USB drive.

I hope the hard drive is firewire...

The M9-DX is a new Firewire/USB* external disk drive enclosure, which also has a built in port replicator. It was created specifically to complement the Mac Mini. Features a specially designed active/passive cooling system.

* The M9-DX can be used either as Firewire or USB hard disk. Use the switch at the back to change the mode!

It's written right on their page that it can do both.
jase

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a better picture of the back? Reply with quote

tyleromeo wrote:

* The M9-DX can be used either as Firewire or USB hard disk. Use the switch at the back to change the mode!

It's written right on their page that it can do both.

Cool! I missed that entirely. Guess I should have read their website, rather than just the article on this site about it. I'm glad I was wrong! Thanks!
xforce11

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this a lot. I'm interested in seeing the pricing on the DX. I'm still months away from getting my Mac Mini, but this product will probally be purchased at the same time.

Mac Mini, Ministack (160 gig), LG Flatron 17"
aaron.c

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard back from Century Global (US distibutor) yet.. Crying or Very sad
I'll post if / when I do.

Here is their contact info if you'd like to get in touch with them:

Century Global, Inc.
www.centuryglobal.com
Tel. 714.572.9889
Elgato EyeTV 500
Sony MFM-HT75W 17 inch Widescreen HDTV Display
andp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email saying M9 prices will not be out unitl later this month.
aaron.c

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
I got an email saying M9 prices will not be out unitl later this month.

Bummer! Confused
Please post if you find anything else out.
Thanks.
Elgato EyeTV 500
billabong

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are they going to announce the price and availability! Mad
Jozey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billabong wrote:

This feels more like vapourware which is a shame. I'm in the UK and its still not release anywhere...is it ?

Regards
J
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozey wrote:
billabong wrote:

This feels more like vapourware which is a shame. I'm in the UK and its still not release anywhere...is it ?

Regards
J

Yep! They never answered the questions I mailed them. They just passed me off to some distributor. When I contacted the distributor they were clueless. Im moving on!
aaron.c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major bummer ... it was a very promising product. Confused

I'm putting off getting a hub/enclosure for the moment.
Currently saving up for an LCD display .. Very Happy
Elgato EyeTV 500
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: