123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Cinnamon Peripherals CinnaRack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Review: Cinnamon Peripherals CinnaRack Reply with quote

Review: Cinnamon Peripherals CinnaRack
Wednesday, May 10, 2006

We're always looking for new and interesting accessories for the Mac mini. Enter the CinnaRack, a new mount for the Mac mini made by Cinnamon Peripherals. It's designed for mounting your Mac mini underneath a desk or shelf, or even inside an entertainment center.

The CinnaRack comes packaged neatly in a small box from Cinnamon Peripherals, which is based in Canada. In the box, you will find the CinnaRack mount, four 1/2" screws, screw template, four round felt riser pads, two large rectangular felt side pads, and installation guide.

The CinnaRack mount is made out of a single piece of anodized aluminum and measures 9" wide x 6 1/8" deep x 2" tall. Its aluminum construction makes the mount both lightweight and sturdy. It's also one of the most attractive mounts we have seen, because its coloring so closely matches that of the Mac mini.

The bottom of the CinnaRack has vents and rounded corners that allow maximum airflow to the Mac mini's bottom vents. It also features a small raised lip on the back, which prevents the Mac mini from sliding out of the mount. All in all, our PPC-based and Intel-based Mac minis fit nicely into the mount.

When we first heard about the CinnaRack, we were concerned that its aluminum body could cause scratches or scuffs on the Mac mini. Well, to our relief, we are happy to report that Cinnamon Peripherals includes two large felt pads for the inside walls of the mount. They do an excellent job of protecting the Mac mini's finish, while holding it snuggly inside the mount.

Our only concern with the CinnaRack is the overall height of the mount itself. At just over 2" tall, the mount is approximately the same height as the Mac mini. Even with the included felt risers installed, the gap between the top of the Mac mini and bottom of your desk or shelf is really small. This could possibly lead to a decrease in Airport reception in some instances, depending on the location of your wireless router.

Overall, we can recommend this product to our readers, and give it a score of 3.5 out of 4 stars. The CinnaRack for Mac mini is shipping now, and has a suggested retail price of $27.00 (30$CAD). Cinnamon Peripherals also offers the CinnaRack with a mount for the Mac mini's power adapter for $33.00 (36$CAD).

Pros:
- Anodized aluminum finish
- Coloring matches Mac mini
- Mac mini fits nicely into mount
- Rear lip prevents Mac mini from sliding out of the mount
- Felt pads protect Mac mini's finish
- Bottom vents allow maximum airflow to the Mac mini

Cons:
- Overall height of the mount

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/122.html

Last edited by admin on Wed May 10, 2006 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I need, ordered one.
Will let you know how it works out.

Cheers
brian

Folding on a Intel Mini
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually might consider buying one of these or the miniMount from Hubell. I'm currently using the nuShelf mini in my TV cabinet from OWC, but it hangs way too low. Not only does the NuShelf hang low, but it has these ugly cutout holes on the bottom. Plus, the acrylic plastic sort of looks cheap. This one looks to have a lower profile and would match the rest of my black and silver A/V equipment. I'm not really worried about it hurting my Airport signal because I'm using ethernet. The wireless performance of the Mac mini wasn't cutting it for streaming movies over from my other computers.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
[...] I'm currently using the nuShelf mini in my TV cabinet from OWC, but it hangs way too low. Not only does the NuShelf hang low, but it has these ugly cutout holes on the bottom. Plus, the acrylic plastic sort of looks cheap. This one looks to have a lower profile and would match the rest of my black and silver A/V equipment. I'm not really worried about it hurting my Airport signal because I'm using ethernet .[...]

The CinnaRack for Mac mini Limited Edition is very low profile, as you can see from the pictures of the review. You could even have a perfect fit if you don't use the felt risers, though you may have a bit of difficulty sliding the Mac mini in place without them (that's why they're included).

The anodized aluminum is almost an exact match to the Mac mini (again, as you can see from the pictures). There's also the fact that the side walls stop before the rounded corners of the Mac mini, giving a kind of "floating Mac mini" look to it.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any further questions.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)

Last edited by Yvan256 on Wed May 10, 2006 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Din

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a second model that would accomodate the mini + one of the matching hub/hard drive units many are using.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Din wrote:
You might consider a second model that would accomodate the mini + one of the matching hub/hard drive units many are using.

Unfortunately, there's so many drives/hubs with different heights that a "nominal height" would be hard to guess. We do, however, have something planned for drives/hubs. I, myself, have two miniStack drive/hubs (v1 and v2), along with a WiebeTECH drive/hub and a Belkin slim USB/FW hub.

I'm also currently testing another future product to see if it's useful enough and worth its price before going into production. Let's just say that I'm now used to see my Mac mini with it and my setup would look strange without it.

All I can say is, stay tuned.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any further questions.

None now, but thanks! Very Happy

Din wrote:

That would be pretty cool, but it would definitely hang too low in my cabinet. I'm only like an inch and a half away from the top of my LCD TV now. The mount would also have to be bulkier to support the additional weight. It's a cool idea though.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
That would be pretty cool, but it would definitely hang too low in my cabinet. I'm only like an inch and a half away from the top of my LCD TV now. The mount would also have to be bulkier to support the additional weight. It's a cool idea though.

Your height problem would still allow you to use the next models of the CinnaRack.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
curt wrote:

Your height problem would still allow you to use the next models of the CinnaRack.

When will those be coming out?
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

When will those be coming out?

My estimate would be within two or three months, depending on manufacturing delays.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I might get one also. I'd have to spray paint it black to match my black Mini though.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Hmmmm, I might get one also. I'd have to spray paint it black to match my black Mini though.

Black Mac mini? Do you have pictures? Did you paint it yourself?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Black Mac mini? Do you have pictures? Did you paint it yourself?

I haven't took the time to take any pictures. I did the painting myself, well over 12 layers (8 real thin layers of primer, 3 thin of flat black and 1 layer to give a textured look), but doesn't look obtrusive. This was done a while ago, while I was in a 2 month job transition. But I haven't painted the Apple logo, because of a new job that I recently started.
It's more or less a rough painting. The front looks really well, while the back has a blotch (the only imperfection really).

It's a complete flat, industrial strength black spray paint. Of course I sprayed a primer and sanded it down.

I have a 2nd Mac Mini top housing, I was thinking on painting that one also. No color really comes to mind. Maybe I'll go with black again. Just incorporate more colors or any kind of shadowing into it somehow.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: I spent a lot less for my under-the-desk solution... Reply with quote

...and it provides more space and much better cooling. Smile

I fastened a cookie cooling rack upside down underneath my desk. Works really well. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't took the time to take any pictures. I did the painting myself, well over 12 layers (8 real thin layers of primer, 3 thin of flat black and 1 layer to give a textured look), but doesn't look obtrusive.

Do the layers of paint affect cooling or wireless reception at all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: