123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about installing Tiger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JS

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Questions about installing Tiger Reply with quote

Hello!

I've been struggling for the first days with my mini, but now I would not change it for anything!

I just got the Tiger CD, and I have a few questions, since I just begin to really have fun with Panther.

If I install Tiger:

- will all the programs I've installed (Photoshop 7, MS Office...) work as well? Or will I have to reinstall them?

- since I now have Quicktime Pro, will the new version be automatically Pro, or will I have to buy (or crack) it?

- I read that Dashboard uses a lot of memory. Can it be just shut down? Frankly, the widgets seem pretty useless to me.

Thanks!

JS
andp

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about installing Tiger Reply with quote

I've been struggling for the first days with my mini, but now I would not change it for anything!

I just got the Tiger CD, and I have a few questions, since I just begin to really have fun with Panther.

If I install Tiger:

- will all the programs I've installed (Photoshop 7, MS Office...) work as well? Or will I have to reinstall them?

NO. Only if you do a clean install and format the drive.

- since I now have Quicktime Pro, will the new version be automatically Pro, or will I have to buy (or crack) it?

Not sure!

- I read that Dashboard uses a lot of memory. Can it be just shut down? Frankly, the widgets seem pretty useless to me.
Drag the Dashboard icon off the dock and never activate it by pressing F12. I don't know of any other way to kill it completely.
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rename Quictime Pro 6 to something slightly different prior to install. Then, you won't lose the functionality you paid for. You get QT7 h.263 functionality, but retain QT6 for authoring.

I did an upgrade of a new Mini to Tiger and it went flawlessly. Bear in mind, though, that it did not have any 3rd party apps on it, just the default apple includes.

whenever you are concerned or think that there is even the slightest chance of losing data and programs you want to keep, do a full backup to an external volume. Disconnect that volume before doing any backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: