123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iBook - Squeaky keys!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: iBook - Squeaky keys! Reply with quote

I've had my new 12" iBook all of 3 week's now and I love it, but it has already developed a potentially annoying quirk, every time i hit the 'h' key it squeaks rather loud. Sounds like rubber against rubber. I talked to a friend and he said that Apple will fix stuff like that if it doesn't go away on its own. Anyone else had any problems with sticky/squeaky keys on Apple laptops? What should I do?

Thanks,
/e3mw
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it to your Apple dealer, when you have time. They will probably pop it open and have you on your way in 5 minutes, without voiding your warranty.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little rubber boot and plastic scissors underneath the key are probably stiff from being new. I would type on it for a few more days and see if it doesn't go away on its own. Call Apple and ask for a new keyboard in another week, if it keeps on squeaking. I had a problem with my PowerBook's Spacebar once and Apple replaced it with no questions asked.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry about posting in the wrong forum, didn't see 'portables' at the time. Thanks mods for the move. --

Anyway, I gave my iBook a day or so and the problem dissapeared, then reappeared. It looks as if it's just an on again off again kind of thing. If it begins to irritate me I'll contact apple about a keyboard replacement.

/e3mw
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lordvader311

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had the sticky keys and actually find this easier than the powerbook keyboard perhaps it is me but so far not problems. I also bought a slicon keyboard overlay at iskin.com that covers the keyboard and keeps the dirt and dust out. I think it is worth the few bucks.
4GB iPod nano (white)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mryan55

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with an older iBook, although it did occur when the laptop was new(er). I just lived with it and, to this day, the same squeaky sound is emitted from the keyboard.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: if no close dealer Reply with quote

contact Apple to see about sending you a keyboard replacement it you have no Apple certified techs in your area, most of the closest ones to me are across the Mississippi in St. Louis Metro area (there is one in Illinois, but it's an even further drive).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: