123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CompWave MiniHitch for Mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: CompWave MiniHitch for Mac mini Reply with quote

CompWave MiniHitch for Mac mini
Monday, May 1, 2006

We have seen a few mounts for the Mac mini in our time, but this might be the most clever of them all. The MiniHitch ($49.95) from CompWave allows you to mount a Mac mini on the back of your monitor, by making use of the 100mm or 75mm spacing VESA pattern mounting holes found on the back of many LCD monitors. CompWave also offers the CamHitch ($15.95), which allows you to mount an Apple iSight on the back of your monitor, by making use of one of the VESA mounting holes as well as the notebook mount that comes with the iSight.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/469.html

Last edited by admin on Mon May 01, 2006 11:44 pm; edited 5 times in total
bmalmquist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: nice, but pricey Reply with quote

What a good idea! What a lot of money! It is neat if you have limited desk space, but then again, isn't that why a lot of people bought the mini?
diulei

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is going to say it, so I might as well...

isn't this what an iMac is for? I mean, Mac Mini + price of monitor = iMac price. And the iMac is more powerful.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Someone is going to say it, so I might as well...

isn't this what an iMac is for? I mean, Mac Mini + price of monitor = iMac price. And the iMac is more powerful.

Yes, but this would give you the option of using bigger monitors.

I think this is absolutely brilliant--it falls smack under the category of "why hasn't anyone thought of this before?"

Smile

Jamie
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me to be a novelty item. What sense does it make to hang your mini onto the back of your monitor? If your using larger than a 20" monitor it makes it so you would have to stand up to load and unload your discs and turn your mini on and off. Most of the larger monitors out there have enough room between the screen and the base to keep a mini out of the way and still accesable.
Also is it so wise to mount this thing to one of the hottest parts of your monitor?

Serpent
diulei

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should rephrase.

For people doing the "switch" or those who already have their own computer, I could see getting this thing.

But I doubt there would be anyone who would buy a *new* monitor and Mac Mini just to use this, because there is the iMac.

I could be wrong though...
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of looks like Jango or Boba Fett. Razz

I would be interested in buying the CamHitch thingy for the iSight if my Dell LCD wasn't already using the VESA mounts.
macinabox

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this as a good way to 'make your own iMac' and save a few hundred bucks if you're not out for preformance and just need a lower cost semi-portable mac.

I like it, dosen't fit my needs but I like it.
andp

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I think this is absolutely brilliant--it falls smack under the category of "why hasn't anyone thought of this before?"

This definitely falls under the category of "Why didn't I think of something like that!" It's pretty ingenious. I could see this being carried over to other accessories or uses.
evilcalvin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This definitely falls under the category of "Why didn't I think of something like that!" It's pretty ingenious. I could see this being carried over to other accessories or uses.[/quote]

Heading to the hardware store tomorrow. Going to see if the CamHitch can be done for less than the $15.95 Plexi-glass, 2 screws and a few minutes on the scroll saw.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilcalvin wrote:
Heading to the hardware store tomorrow. Going to see if the CamHitch can be done for less than the $15.95 Plexi-glass, 2 screws and a few minutes on the scroll saw.

Take some pics! Very Happy
evilcalvin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: iSight holder Reply with quote

devo wrote:
evilcalvin wrote:

Take some pics! Very Happy

Project done.
Pictures as requested.
Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cilleyboys3/sets/
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: iSight holder Reply with quote

evilcalvin wrote:

Project done.
Pictures as requested.
Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cilleyboys3/sets/

Good job! Maybe you can start your own business and sell a few of them. Very Happy

It looks like you did a good job on the edges. I need to buy a good router one of these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: