123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows on the Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousdeanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Windows on the Mac Reply with quote

I'm looking to go buy a mini this weekend. Sadly I need to ruin it by putting windows on it in order to access some non-mac compatible programs for work. So I was just wondering if anyone had windows on their mac and how it worked. Hurt your mini at all? Let me know
Thanks

Deanne
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mini here yet... Sad but this might help you:

Signing up for Boot Camp (on Core Duo Mini)
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Macintel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XP on Mac Mini Reply with quote

To answer your question about how the Windows XP installation affects the Mac Mini, I saw actual speed improvements after upgrading the Firmware. As soon as I did the upgrade, I noticed the computer boots up way faster and get's to the Desktop in about 20 secs.

I used XP Pro w/service Pack 2 (2002) It runs fine, no problems. I have done this installation on both a Mac Mini and on an Intel iMac. The Mini was easier, because the drive was "clean" whereas the iMac had to be booted from a startup disc and had to run Disc Utility to make minor disc repairs prior to the partitioning, if you get an error when you try to partition, you must do this. Personally, I would not allocate any more than 30% of my drive space for XP.

When doing XP installation after Bootcamp, for Windows partitioning: be sure and choose C and "FAT", not FAT(quick) for file system. This allows you to access your Windows volume while in OSX.

Benefit I'm seeing: while I have not installed very much Windows software, I can now be on the Mac side and if I happened to download an .AVI movie file, I just drag it to the volume "WINDOWS XP" and it goes to the C Drive when I reboot in Windows, (hold down option)double click it there and Media player opens it flawlessly, if you stayed in MAC Quicktime(Even QT 7.Pro) it would get an error and not play the movie. Also your .EXE files, will finally open.(Windows side only)
So I feel Empowered and less likely to fight the Windows /Mac war any further, when you have both, you truly win.
curiousdeanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal with me. I'm a realtor and I need to access the realtor MLS system through a program that has to be downloaded in windows. ANy new listings or updates come through the host on the internet and downloaded to my program for me. Unfortunately they don't make it mac compatible.
The other program is for client prospecting which is also not mac compatible.
Now I would prefer to keep it on the mac side while I work for safari and itunes and what not BUT it would be good if I didn't have to restart my computer everytime I need to search the MLS for a client.

SO bottom line is I was wondering if there is anyway I would be able to just access the MLS program through a seperate window on my mac side or am i just destined to be living on my windows side while I'm at work?

deanne

(If I sound like a moron don't blame me. I'm just starting to discover the benifits of moving from a PC to the wonderfull world of mac.)
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deanne, you have a couple of options with an Intel Mac. You can use Boot Camp, which means you'll have to reboot the computer when switching between Windows and OS X.

Or you can use Parallels, which runs Windows apps in a separate window and eliminates the need to reboot. Here's a link to a very good overview of this option:

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/04/27/how-to-run-other-oss-on-your-mac-with-parallels-workstation/

Both solutions are technically beta software, but Boot Camp is arguably a bit more polished and final at this point. Bottom line, there's a solution for you now, and these solutions will improve as things progress.

The next version of OS X (Leopard, due late 2006/early 2007) will likely include some sort of built-in support for Windows apps, which would then make these solutions moot.

It's an exciting time to be a switcher!

Smile

Jamie
curiousdeanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion Jamie! Very Happy

So if i go with "window in a window" should I still be able to run all my 'non-mac compatible' programs in this window?

Deanne
hairyneanderthal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: It depends on your needs... Reply with quote

I have been using both XP through bootcamp and Parallels this last week.

If you need (video) performance and game playability the only way is bootcamp.
Parallels works pretty well for other applications though ... even CPU intensive applications such as Visio. I need to run several XP only apps including Visio and have been impressed by its performance.
Video is still 2d without overlay so games & multimedia still has some way to go..

curiousdeanne wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Jamie! Very Happy

So if i go with "window in a window" should I still be able to run all my 'non-mac compatible' programs in this window?

Deanne
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Parallels Workstation b6 just came out. They listed the following improvements:
- USB fixes (more devices supported: PDA, scanner, etc.)
- Shared Folders fixes (added support for guest Windows 2000)
- Network improvements: host-only networking
- Custom video resolutions support added
- Image Tool introduced
- Autoupdate introduced
- Kernel panic in virtual memory manager fixed
- Shutdown in fullscreen mode hang fixed
- Virtual disk sync() problem with Linux guests fixed

And it's still $39 if pre-ordered.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
FYI, Parallels Workstation b6 just came out. They listed the following improvements:
- USB fixes (more devices supported: PDA, scanner, etc.)
- Shared Folders fixes (added support for guest Windows 2000)
- Network improvements: host-only networking
- Custom video resolutions support added
- Image Tool introduced
- Autoupdate introduced
- Kernel panic in virtual memory manager fixed
- Shutdown in fullscreen mode hang fixed
- Virtual disk sync() problem with Linux guests fixed

And it's still $39 if pre-ordered.

It seems like Parallels has a new update every day. I mean it's great that they are listening to people and making improvements, but it's getting a little hard to follow for the average Mac user like myself. Confused
yeep

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there are some networking issues in b6. They are working on it, but I think it's better to wait for the next release.
yeep

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and they already fixed it. The latest b6 contains a hotfix, it goes by the same name but has a different build number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: