123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista delayed until 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

That is very funny!

You guys might find this to be interesting read. It's basically what I was trying to say.

bahttp://news.com.com/Vista+delay+could+add+up+to+Mac+sales/2100-1016_3-6052959.html?tag=nefd.top

Your links bad mate. Need to remove the ba from the start of it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it. Very Happy
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
What Microsoft wouldn't give to have bought OS X from Steve Jobs and NeXT before Jobs sold the OS to Apple.

I think one of the Microsoft commenters suggested that Microsoft do just that. Weird.

ack_mac wrote:
I honestly think that Microsoft may be better off coming out with a major update for XP and starting over again on Vista if the rumors on this site are true...

At this point, with all the dumping of features, I think Vista is closer to Windows XP SP3 than it is to a revamped OS.

Good time to be a Mac owner. Here's my favorite comment from the blog:

Compare this to OS X, where people fall all over themselves trying to get the newest version running on their old hardware because there's actual value in the new features. So Vista has its guts ripped out, slips, and we wait another 5 years for a potentially insipring version of Windows, meanwhile Apple ships another 3 updates to OS X.

Razz

Jamie
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if...

Apple licences OS X to run on selected Dell/HP/Levono systems... Can you imagine the potential market share they could grab in the consumer/enterprise sector... Part of me wants to see it happen just to take market share away from M$, but part of me is reluctant to boot OS X up on anything but Apple hardware.

There is another very innovative company that may jump in and surprise everyone. Google.. They have the talent, innovation, and drive to do something amazing.. There have been rumors before that Google is considering getting into the OS game....
andp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
What if...

Apple licences OS X to run on selected Dell/HP/Levono systems... Can you imagine the potential market share they could grab in the consumer/enterprise sector... Part of me wants to see it happen just to take market share away from M$, but part of me is reluctant to boot OS X up on anything but Apple hardware.

Switch that around. Apple could license Windows and offer dual-boot systems as a BTO option? Or better yet, what if Apple came out with a program like Rosetta for Windows applications? A Virtual PC on steroids that would be completely blind to the end user. That would rule!
tortoise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:

Switch that around. Apple could license Windows and offer dual-boot systems as a BTO option?

Microsoft's contracts with vendors very aggressively guards against dual boot systems being sold. That's why you've pretty much never seen someone offer a system that has Linux and Windows on it at retail (I know Dell tried this and MS quickly stopped them). If you want any other OS on the machine, then you can't have Windows on it too.

This is ultimately what did BeOS in. Be finally struck up a deal with Toshiba to distribute machines that dual booted BeOS and Windows. Microsoft swooped in and quickly put a stop to it. Toshiba then left BeOS on the hard drive and told users how to enable booting into BeOS on their website, and MS responded harshly (don't remember their exact response).

This requirement in MS's contracts is what makes it so difficult for other OSes to get off the ground. Be went out of business, and they have been suing MS like crazy ever since for anticompetitive practices. You can read all about it at Be's website.

http://www.beincorporated.com/

So, in other words, the chances of Apple successfully shipping OSX/Windows dual boots is very very slim.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
What if...

Apple licences OS X to run on selected Dell/HP/Levono systems...

Time for my tinfoil conspiracy hat Laughing

For a long time I've thought that Apple and Microsoft had an understanding, either tacit or explicit, that they wouldn't go after each other's OS business in a overtly competitive way. I've thought that since Microsoft came riding in to the rescue with the hundreds of millions of dollars to help save Apple in the '90s.

It benefits Microsoft to have Apple around, because it keeps the Dept. of Justice off their backs with monopoly issues. And it benefits Apple to have a bigger Microsoft around, because no one then complains that #2 company Apple has vertical monopolies of their own.

I'd like nothing better than to see OS X on everyone's desktop. But, whether by design or by necessity, I just can't see Apple letting that happen on anything other than Apple hardware that they completely control.

Smile

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go... lol

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2219

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this site is still accurate on features

http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/

Then Vista does have some pretty cool stuff, you have to admit. I really like sideshow and windows flip.

Yes yes, OSX basically has "flip" already, but putting it into the alt-tab dialog is a great idea.
andp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortoise wrote:
sideshow and windows flip.

Yes yes, OSX basically has "flip" already, but putting it into the alt-tab dialog is a great idea.

Have you ever looked at Max?
http://www.microsoft.com/max/
macinabox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
What if...
There is another very innovative company that may jump in and surprise everyone. Google.. They have the talent, innovation, and drive to do something amazing.. There have been rumors before that Google is considering getting into the OS game....

I've been thinking about that for a while after I installed google desktop on the PC at work (I'm hoplessly addicited to spotlight now) and google just seems so "mac like" with that KISS attitude.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else find this confusing?

Quote:
Windows Vista Business
Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/versions/default.mspx

Thank god for Apple!
Spitzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ugh, I think they are just breaking down crap into multiple categories.

My universal answer to all M$ claims: "O RLY?"
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: an original idea was Reply with quote

Media Center with the remote before Apple released Front Row, but Apple deserved to get some retribution.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: