123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini OverClocked to 1.67GHz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini OverClocked to 1.67GHz Reply with quote

Wednesday May 11, 2005

Hardmac.com is reporting on a way to overclock the 1.42GHz Mac mini to 1.67GHz. In Febraury we ran a story about Leo Bodnar a Mac mini enthusiast who found a way to overclock the Mac mini to 1.58GHz. To achieve 1.67GHz you'll need to find the resistor called R52 that's well hidden under the CPU heatsink. Hardmac.com ? "As we got this information we'd long sought for, we decided to go further with the Mac mini (originally a 1.42 GHz) which had already accepted to go to 1.58 GHz. We took apart this R52 resistor and made bridges to the other side to reach the desired frequency. It would be better to put the resistors back, but they really are too tiny, and it works that way anyway." The 1.25GHz Mac mini uses a different heat sink and ?probably? won?t be able to achieve these higher frequencies.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/303.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini OverClocked to 1.67GHz Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Wednesday May 11, 2005
The 1.25GHz Mac mini uses a different heat sink and “probably” won’t be able to achieve these higher frequencies.

Not all of the 1.25Ghz. My 1.25Ghz had the same heat sink as the 1.42Ghz. I overclocked the Mini up to 1,5Ghz (except 1,58Ghz but i have had to downclock it). Probably, i'm gonna attempt up to 1,67Ghz… Cool[/list][/list]
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say for each of the processors you could get an extra .2 gHz of processor speed, but why bother doing that when i doubt you'd even notice the change in speed, plus you'd void the warranty?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not void your warranty? It's work those extra .2Ghz.

I read awhile ago that the fan pretty much went on all the time at 1.67Ghz. They discussed using Arctic Silver instead of the normal stuff that came with the Mini and that dropped the temps a couple of degrees C. The thing is that if you're overclocking to that from 1.25Ghz, that's an increase of 33% or so. I think that'd be noticable. Even an increase from 1.42Ghz gives an increase of roughly 17%.

And yes, mac.com is right, some of the 1.25 machines have 1.42Ghz heatsinks. It seemed to be that more and more of the 1.25Ghz machines come with that heatsink now than when the Mini first started shipping.

Disclaimer: Figures done in head.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: