123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self Improvement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Self Improvement Reply with quote

With technology changing so rapidly we often get caught up in wanting to have the latest and greatest. Marketing departments would have us believe by pulling out our wallets that our lives will be so much better.

Most Mac mini users have come to realize that we don't all need the newest technolgy to get the job done.

There are many, many threads about hardware and software updates/improvments. I'd like to know...

What have you done to improve yourself lately?

Having only been a OSX user for just about 1 year, I personally have gained a wealth of information from this forum. This is my #1 Mac resource. I also read Macwolrd and MacAddict every month. The tips in these magazines are great.

For a resource manual I use Ted Landau's Mac OS X help line. Most of the troubleshooting and familiarity to OS X has come from helping answer other people questions on this site. Often I know the answer to a problem but I can't remember the exact steps. Answering these questions is great review and helps engrain knowledge.

I enjoy photography (hobby level). To be honest I don't know much about it. Last spring a took a digital photography workshop. It was held by Hostelling International in the mountains of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. I plan on taking the second part of this course in June of this year.

My job is in instrumentation/computer networking. I've been doing this for just under 1 year. I'm learning a great deal. I work with Windows machines. I set up satellite internet, VoIP phone sytems and a small local network of about 10 workstation on drilling rig locations.

My goal for this year is to spend more time taking photos and I would like to learn how to use photoshop. The workshop I will be taking in June is geared towards people like me. It should be fun.

Well enough about me. If you feel like contributing to this oddball post, I'd like to hear about what you have done or plan on doing to better yourself.
Inky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Louise eh? I'd check a map if I weren't too lazy, but I bet it's not too far from Calgary. They still doing the first part of that course?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inky wrote:
Lake Louise eh? I'd check a map if I weren't too lazy, but I bet it's not too far from Calgary. They still doing the first part of that course?

I'm not sure. I just emailed for more info. PM me and I'll send it to you if interested.

You won't have to have taken the first workshop to attend this one. The diffence with this workshop is that we be introduced to Photoshop. It's basically to give those who took the first workshop a reason to return. There is only so much that can be covered in a weekend and you'll spend an afternoon taking photographs. The event is $350 (everything included. Room/meals). As far as education goes you could spend invest $350 more wisely. As far as an experience goes, I think it is good value (if you can afford it.)
Inky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
You won't have to have taken the first workshop to attend this one. The diffence with this workshop is that we be introduced to Photoshop. It's basically to give those who took the first workshop a reason to return. There is only so much that can be covered in a weekend and you'll spend an afternoon taking photographs. The event is $350 (everything included. Room/meals). As far as education goes you could spend invest $350 more wisely. As far as an experience goes, I think it is good value (if you can afford it.)

I've been 'introduced' to Photoshop so many times, once more would make me slap the teacher. But that's too rich for my blood unfortunatly. I'd rather buy myself a PSP with that kind of cash, lol.
macinabox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Improvement Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
With technology changing so rapidly we often get caught up in wanting to have the latest and greatest. Marketing departments would have us believe by pulling out our wallets that our lives will be so much better....

Well enough about me. If you feel like contributing to this oddball post, I'd like to hear about what you have done or plan on doing to better yourself.

5 years ago I quit smoking and started playing the guitar again after a 20 year hiatus (just as a hobby not in a band or anything) I just have to say that was THE best thing I have EVER done for self improvement, I can think way...WAY more clearly and the guitar has taught me many things like patience and diligence.

Photoshop requires patience and diligence (if you ask my mom the photoshop queen) you just have to keep at it every day to learn it, attending an expensive class (IMO) isn't going to help as much as just using it. She tells me all the time people want her to teach them photoshop and after an hour or so they're going "oh...ok...uum...what was that again" Rolling Eyes
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Improvement Reply with quote

macinabox wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
With technology changing so rapidly we often get caught up in wanting to have the latest and greatest. Marketing departments would have us believe by pulling out our wallets that our lives will be so much better....

5 years ago I quit smoking and started playing the guitar again after a 20 year hiatus (just as a hobby not in a band or anything) I just have to say that was THE best thing I have EVER done for self improvement, I can think way...WAY more clearly and the guitar has taught me many things like patience and diligence.

Photoshop requires patience and diligence (if you ask my mom the photoshop queen) you just have to keep at it every day to learn it, attending an expensive class (IMO) isn't going to help as much as just using it. She tells me all the time people want her to teach them photoshop and after an hour or so they're going "oh...ok...uum...what was that again" Rolling Eyes

I agree with everything you said.

I wish I knew how to play guitar. Music is a great way for people to release and bond with others. Playing guitar will get you a little further with the ladies than smoking Smile. Congrats on giving up smoking.

The digital photography workshop is more about a bunch of people with a common interest getting together (in one of the most beautiful locations in the world) and sharing their experience.

I agree with your philosophy to learning Photoshop. You have to constantly use it. However an overview goes a long way. For the most part most people could get enough of the video tutorials that come with some of the Mac/Photoshop magazines.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to take a class about Photoshop. (I'm fairly proficient with Gimp...but PS perplexes me) Smile $350 sounds CHEAP to me! (and is that Canadian dollars?)

I took up karate in 2002 (always wanted to do so as a kid but never had the money/opportunity). My two oldest children study at the same school with me. It's been great and really good for my health. Will likely be testing for my black belt sometime in the next 12 months.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: giving up on sugar and cutting away lots of soda Reply with quote

I gave up sugar in my tea and also I now drink less soda and even then it's diet, now I drink either plain tea, water, milk, or juice (mostly orange juice in te morning). Now to cut out caffine is insane I live off of it I sometimes eat straight coffee beans and it's what gets me up in the morning, also the water in my house is over filtered and tastes bad (chlorine filtering makes that metalic taste in tap water) and tea makes it taste good. This is a rather big improvement and this summer I'll workout to lose weight (I am 90lbs. overweight currently, so 70lbs. less would be nice for high school). I'm only 14 and I gave up avoidable sugar since my family has had both type I & II diabetes (thankfully type I (gene dependant) is rare in my family and only on my mom's side), now to avoid type II won't be easy, but doable. I also could do with stress control since I got IBS at 12. And I have muscle spasms that are uncontrolable and often. Then the fact I lost over two-thirds of my right lung at 7 and I have seasonal asthema (asthema attacks triggered only by allergies)(since 6) doesn't help my summer plans either. I did recently do one major help in weight-loss, I revised my diet and stay away from junkfood alot more, I eat almost no candy except gum and chocolate or an occasional tic-tac and none of them a lot, gum I mainly chew at school in classes where we can.

Well that's all I found to say and I'm not sure on this one yet, but I'll say it anyway also I want to improve my literary skills and learn to use Java and UNIX.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: