123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuSE on Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixelnate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: SuSE on Mini? Reply with quote

Has anybody been successful getting SuSE or any linux distro working on the mini? Is the install process the same as would be for a normal PC? Can you still use GRUB? TIA.
vansouza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Parallels Reply with quote

I think not; but look at www.parallels.com and that solution might work for you...
fuji257

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SuSE on Mini? Reply with quote

pixelnate wrote:
Has anybody been successful getting SuSE or any linux distro working on the mini? Is the install process the same as would be for a normal PC? Can you still use GRUB? TIA.

I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
I've tried installing Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, PC-BSD, Desktop BSD, Gentoo, NetBSDB, BeOS (Zeta, PE MAX, Dano), ReactOS, FreeDOS, Syllable.

Multiple version of most including STABLE and BETA's. This is what I've learned:

1. The firmware update is NOT the magic answer; but a half ass band-aid that enables OSS advocates to delay learning EFI.

2. GRUB sucks big donkey d!cks, and can only boot the most simplistic setups, anything beyond that and you may as well code a bootloader yourself as THAT is EASIER than configuring GRUB to do ANYTHING remotely useful.

3. Once a nerd posts 4 pages of instructions on HOW TO install a distro the community considers it DONE and celebrates the versatility of the Almighty Linux.

5. Most alternative OS's have LITTLE problems INSTALLING on x86 Mac; but have SEVERE issues BOOTING. Many have problems with the GMA950 video and/or SATA hard drives and/or Booting from Firewire.

6. The issue's listed above are reasons why if you want to install an alternate OS on your Intel Mac; you should just wait awhile first unless you are an advanced user/coder. Eventually someone will release an easy install (and boot) OS/Distro, but I ain't found it yet. (hopefully Slackware or NetBSD)

Of course if you just want to tinker without installing; a lot of the LiveCD's work good esp Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

-------------------------

With that said however; a little EFI utility called rEFIt MAY be able to boot Linux once installed. I've downloaded it and have it installed but have not put Linux back on a drive yet. I post again later and let you know how it works out.

Last edited by fuji257 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to link to this topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: