123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow ethernet speed, plz help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akeros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Slow ethernet speed, plz help Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a brand new switcher Smile and pretty happy about it.

So far, I'm having an issue with the speed of my LAN connection with my XP laptop. The transfer is very slow.

When I use another PC to connect to the laptop, the speed is fine and fast.

I googled for help and tried to manually set the ethernet to 100t/bx thingy and full duplex but not better.

If you already had this issue and can help that'll be great!

Thanks!
andp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Ethernet and in then configure choose Select Manually (Advanced) and try lowering or raising your Maximum Packet Size (MTU). Is yours at 1500? Is this laptop connecting with a wireless or wired connection to your network?
akeros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was as 1500 by default and I tried to use 1492 the same as my ADSL parameter. But not much help neither.

I'm using a crossed ethernet cable between the mac mini and the xp laptop.
andp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akeros wrote:
Actually, it was as 1500 by default and I tried to use 1492 the same as my ADSL parameter. But not much help neither.

I'm using a crossed ethernet cable between the mac mini and the xp laptop.

I'm stumped maybe someone else can give you better advice! I was thinking maybe you lower Maximum Packet Size (MTU) wasmto low by mistake. 1500 is default. Sorry good luck!
n2o2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the auto-negotiating process goed wrong. Make sure both sides are configured 100Mbit full duplex fixed.
If that is the case and still the connection is slow than try another cable.
akeros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy.

I tried putting manually both side to 100Mbs and full duplex but not helping.
The cable I use s certified for giga ethernet and with same cable and same laptop I've got fast transfer with another PC...

I'm stuck with transfering big files via usb hard drive, but I'd prefer just putting the mac in the network and copy accross the cable, it is much better I think.

I'll try to google more help Smile

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers
lilrabbit129

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we got an idea of the configuration of your home network it might shed some light on your issues.
akeros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You're right I haven't been specific enough, so here is my config:

2 machines:

- Mac mini with OS X Panther
- internal ethernet
- for the moment ethernet config set to auto
- tcp/ip is DHCP with manual IP e.g. 192.168.0.2
- mask is 255.255.255.0
- router automatically set to 192.168.0.1

- Sharp laptop with Win Xp
- internal ethernet
- ethernet set to auto-negotiation
- mask is 255.255.255.0
- tcp/ip with ip is e.g. 192.168.0.1
- win fire wall on ethernet
- removed Qos service

The 2 machines are connected via crossed gigabit ethernet cable. No hub.

I tried:
- manually set both machine to 100basetx and full duplex. Connection is working, I can access to the internet via my ADSL modem connected to my PC. But speed of PC to MAC is 2% of 100Mbps and MAC to PC is 50% of 100Mbps (maybe Mac mini HD speed limit?)
- full automation and negotiation and used assitant on mac. same result as above, slow PC to MAC speed.

Can't think of anything wrong with the PC as I've got a desktop pc with win xp which transfer very fast on both directions (I haven't mesured though)

Hope that gives a better view of my config.

Thanks!
akeros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update after more investigation.

I used my backup partition and I am getting at last some decent speed!
But in this configuration, I am not sharing the internet over my private network...

On my main partition where I have speed issue, I am sharing the internet connection so that I can surf on my mac mini through my PC. Now it seems that the Mac is copying files at the speed or through (I can't explain) the internet speed connection!! Which is 2Mbps hence the slow speed. For some reason the Mac is not detecting the 100Mbps speed.

Not a network professionnal so I might be wrong, but it looks as it is my problem here.

If anybody more knowledgeable on networks could help please Smile

Thanks!
akeros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, it's all working fie now. I upgraded to 10.3.8 and I used a switch. I can now use 2 PCs and the mac mini in the same network and at full speed.

I guess this topic can be closed now Smile
pkeiths

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

im using the same setting as you (cross over cable)
network setting for mini is
ip address 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.0.1

using my PC inter contection works fine on my Mini but for the life of me i cant work out how to access my PC file .. mainly the Photos..

Ive shared the folders on my PC and followed what it tell me on this web page:-

http://www.efelix.co.uk/tech/3001.html

but it seems to go wrong when i try to use GO/connect to server 192.168.0.1 (<--am i using the correct ip address to connect to? )
the above give error code -36 what ever that is.

Thanks

BTW arent these apple keyboards nice to type on.
akeros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

You seem to have things right. Have you upgraded to 10.3.8 ? That seemed to clear my slow speed issue.

In your case, not sure what is wrong. Have you tried to access the PC via the WORKGROUP path? e.g. smb://YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME;YOUR_PC_NAME/

You should see the shared folders in there.

Have you use the XP network wizzard to help you to setup the PC?
What are your TCP/IP properties on your PC?

Good luck.
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Slow ethernet speed, plz help Reply with quote

akeros wrote:

I googled for help and tried to manually set the ethernet to 100t/bx thingy and full duplex but not better.

We have over 100 minis colocated. We have seen the ehternet auto setting cause trouble on a fairly random basis. Identical minis pluged into the same switch : 3 of them are fine, one of them drops to 10/single. Who know why? The work around is as described set it to : 100/Full . Of the first 100 minis we saw problems in 6 or 7 of them.

Details can be found here: http://www.macminicolo.net/settings/netwrok5ethernet.html
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Slow ethernet speed, plz help Reply with quote

jaymenna78734 wrote:
We have over 100 minis colocated. We have seen the ehternet auto setting cause trouble on a fairly random basis. Identical minis pluged into the same switch : 3 of them are fine, one of them drops to 10/single. Who know why? The work around is as described set it to : 100/Full . Of the first 100 minis we saw problems in 6 or 7 of them.

Details can be found here: http://www.macminicolo.net/settings/netwrok5ethernet.html

So THAT'S why nobody could get their hand on a mini for the longest time...YOU HOGGED THEM ALL!!!!!!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow ethernet speed, plz help Reply with quote

jaymenna78734 wrote:
akeros wrote:

I usually don't point out grammar errors, because I myself can't spell to save my life, but when you actually misspell a URL and it actually work (because it's actually misspelled in real life), it's kind of amusing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: