123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Firmware Update 1.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
fuji257, I agree with most of what you're saying. My only fear is that Adobes and Microsofts of the world give up on OS X over the next five years. Imagine those companies saying - Why bother with a Mac version? If people want to run Photoshop or Office let them boot into Windows. I really don't think that will happen, but it could.

That is a good point, because it could save those companies major money by not making OS X versions at all.

But on the other hand, if those buying a Mac to dual boot, end up finding they like OS X more. When you think about it, is more likely to happen if those people give it a chance in the first place. It could possibly spread OS X by adding more sales of Macs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Not just Windows that gets some support . . . Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:
I've been trying to install BeOS on my Mac Mini, this will help.

Darwine actually will install "BeOS PE for Windows" but won't boot it.

This new update allowed me to boot from a custom made BeOS cd, but it can't find a Beos volume (another cd) due to a lack of firewire support in the beos loader I'm guessing.

I guess I'll need to borrow a PC. The hang-ups I keep running across are all due to the lack of BFS support in OS X. I could install FreeDOS with a BeOS loader in a tiny fat partition, then get BeOS up and running on the rest of the drive - - transplant the drive to a FW enclosure - - plug it into the MM - - sudo bless the DOS volume - - and then I think it will boot.

Of course PRIOR to the firmware upgrade, I don't think OS X would've seen the fat partition as bootable no matter what . . .

Hi fuji257,

What you describe here would be interesting for the BeOS community to read, I think...
Even if you don't manage to get BeOS on your Mac, it might encourage others. It sure is one of the prospects that made me -as BeOS lover/user- buy an Intel-based Mac Mini.
Sites like BeOSNews, ICO etc. would probably be interested!

Good luck, anyways!
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Not just Windows that gets some support . . . Reply with quote

eks wrote:
What you describe here would be interesting for the BeOS community to read, I think...
Even if you don't manage to get BeOS on your Mac, it might encourage others. It sure is one of the prospects that made me -as BeOS lover/user- buy an Intel-based Mac Mini.

Good luck, anyways!

It still amazes me that there are so many diehard BeOS users out there. BeOS sure was a cool OS in its day and way ahead of the times.
fuji257

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not just Windows that gets some support . . . Reply with quote

eks wrote:
Hi fuji257,

Good luck, anyways!

Well, so far the status on booting a BeOS family OS native on a Mactel is not good.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5315

The link above pretty much sums up my experience thus far.

If anyone has any ideas or questions feel free to ask. I don't think too many would be interested in watching BeOS freeze up in grayscale immediately following boot though . . .

If I can manage to get further (something I can grab a screenshot of) I'd probably send it to Haiku folks or a BeOS news site. I'm sure a dev will beat me to the punch though - I'm just a somewhat resourceful end user type and lack the skills to do any *real* hacking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: