123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEOS ON INTEL MAC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji257

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: BEOS ON INTEL MAC Reply with quote

A little side project of mine that I figured would go nowhere fast . . .

I have actually successfully Booted BeOS R5 PE FROM THE INTERNAL SATA HD Very Happy

Of course since it has no GMA950 support it's in greyscale, and the USB keyboard/mouse locks up right away.

This does tell me that the phony BIOS that the EFI loads does the IDE emulation for the internal SATA (which I'm sure folks smarter than me already knew that; but I ain't hacked into the EFI after the horror stories on dead macs)

SO right now its pretty unusable, but this has inspired me to maybe work at it a little more.

I'll be back with more and when I get just a wee bit further I'll post some instructions for the two other people interested Wink Very Happy

Please don't ask me too advanced technical questions; I'm an "advanced" user who's not afraid to research and experiment, I am not a programmer or anything.
fuji257

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this project is a dead end for now.

While it is possible to boot BeOS PE or BeOS MAX (Dano or Zeta won't boot at all) since you have to use a PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse (no USB) running BeOS native is out of the question until (big IF) somebody builds a new HD Image or CD/bootfloppy with USB Keyboard support.

I could probably dig up enough parts to throw together a state-of-the-crap PC, install BeOS apply this patch --> http://bebits.com/app/630 (assuming it works) and then make a HD image by removing the PC HD to a FW enclosure attached to my Mac Mini. Use Disk Utility to create a small partition on its internal drive (BeOS cannot boot from FW) for BeOS (you must select options and check MBR). Burn the floppyboot.img from BeOS MAX (that one works the best, I've tried a TON of different one). Then use DD from the terminal to write the HD image to the internal drive. Of course if the keyboard patch doesn't work you'd just be staring at the initial BeOS desktop. If the patch does work, you get native BeOS in glorious grayscale until a GMA950 driver is created for BeOS.

Haiku will likely be the first BeOS-a-like OS to boot natively. Writing the HD image to a disk partition with DD works, but I cannot boot it (I can't find a "bootfloppy" image for Haiku to burn to CD and the other BeOS bootdisks can't find Haiku. I'm sure if Haiku works with USB input devices or not anyways. I think it relies on the BIOS to have the keyboard run in some sort of "legacy mode"; so I've got some EFI exploring tools installed on Mac http://refit.sourceforge.net/ so maybe I'll see if I can EFI to do my bidding . . .

A native BFS driver for OS X would be an awesome help, but I don't know of anybody even working on one. I really hope Haiku gets built in EFI support. BeOS on Mactel would truly kick ass.
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: great news! Reply with quote

Very Happy hopefully someone gets ATARI ST and Commodore Amiga software back to work on the MacMin as well (booting directly - no VR-Software). I would not be surprised but, by the way, I still have some cassettes from my old C64 in my closet - maybe someone will find a way in order to download it on the MacMini as well.

Hey guys - make shure you wake up in the 21th century tomorrow morning...

Cool
fuji257

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: great news! Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:
Very Happy hopefully someone gets ATARI ST and Commodore Amiga software back to work on the MacMin as well (booting directly - no VR-Software). I would not be surprised but, by the way, I still have some cassettes from my old C64 in my closet - maybe someone will find a way in order to download it on the MacMini as well.

Hey guys - make shure you wake up in the 21th century tomorrow morning...

Cool

Very Happy Das einzig interesseante an deiner Lebensgeschichte ist, wie du aus dem Versuchslabor entkommen bist

Cool
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: confused some Reply with quote

Okay? Why the German?
Anyway you can use those old cassettes to get the files off of for an emulator.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: